Summit Exhaust Sucks

• Sponsors (?)

795.0pacecar said:
My summit o/r H-pipe I got about 3 years ago fits great. I have never had a problem with summit. I actually went to their new distribution center her in GA today, its only a couple miles down the street from me.

Mine fit great, too ('94 5.0). I could choke the PO, though ..... the idiot welded the stocker to the catback.

You do get what you pay for, though. Mine is starting to show a little bit of rust. I only wanted one to last for a year or so, though, so I'm glad I got the Summit. My new combo will include a Bassani X pipe.

I have to agree with some of the comments on Summit being a crappy company. Had a problem with a Driveshaft, ( loud hollow noise at speed, whistling noises) I purchased from them and the person I was talking to just kept saying it's not the driveshaft, it's not the driveshaft, without any reason why it isn't, then he turns around and says I'm lying... LOL what an idiot this guy was, I guess Summit pays people to deny, deny, deny. I felt like I was dealing with an insurance company. Never again, I'll be using their catalog to start my fireplace this winter.

Like someone mentioned earlier SUMMIT SUCKS!!!

i order some exhaust parts a couple years ago for a saturn and summit sent me the right stuff and it fit really easy,, customor service hasnt been that bad lately but i have tried to return stuff, bought hood pins as well but who can mess that up? i never bought summit brand so maybe its their brand only thats messed up

old blue,my summit h-pipe does the same exact thing as yours.i had to take a jack and a block of wood and force the h-pipe up onto the left side.expensive kits don't fit that well sometimes either.i had a cheap dynomax super turbo kit that fit perfect but was too quiet for my taste.i ordered a magnaflow kit.it sounds great but for almost$500 it was the sorriest pos i have ever put on.this was against the stock h-pipe.i cut all the hangers off and rewelded them so it would fit.i changed to the summit h-pipe and know my exhaust is all screwed up again and i'm going to have to recut and reweld the hangers once again.

The only bad experience I had was with the Summit welded mufflers, but it was largely a matter of a salesperson that didn't know WTF they were selling. Back when I was muffler shopping for my '94 CVPI, I was looking for something with a straight-through design (like Pypes Vioaltors, Hooker Max Flows, Dynomax Ultra Flows, etc.), but I didn't feel like coughing up what was about $60 apiece at the time. The sales guy recommended their house-brand "fully welded mufflers," which looked on the outside identical to the non-stainless Dynomax Ultra-Flows. I got the things on my doorstep, and lo and behold, they're basically just really, really heavy versions of Thrush Turbo muffs. Barf.

I dunno if Jeg's house-brand exhaust has the same fitment problems as the Summit stuff, but I'm definitely looking at their off-road X-pipe. One may claim all they want about you get what you pay for, and there is a lot of merit to that saying most of the time, but exhaust parts can be so seriously hit-and-miss regardless of brand that it's really tough to say 100% of the time that any one brand never has a production issue.