Supercharger recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

It all has to do with longevity. As safe as it may be for street levels, the 500hp version is going to put more stress on your engines internal components than the 400hp kit. Another issue they're concerned about it transmission longevity. That's a lot of torque to be putting through the 5R55 trans. Sure, there are a handful of guys running this kit at the 500hp level (and beyond) backed by the auto that are pulling it off, but for how long? Will their cars make it through the warranty period? Only time will tell. Unitl then it's not a risk Ford is willing to take in the mean time, I'm afraid. :)

That's why ford built the Shelby GT500 for all that power the engine could handle:D

well its hard to say what i'm really gonna do now. Not gonna be able to put in this supercharger till this spring anyway due to the fact i refuse to drive my mustang in the winter (i do live in Minnesota btw). I'll give the 500 h.p. a shot due to the fact i'm really not gonna drive it a whole lot, its not my daily driver, more like a summer rider, but if all else fails i'll most likely end up with the 400 h.p. kit....if ya ask me thats still enough power to satisfy me :)

Guys are the rods weaker in the '07 and '08 cars? I have heard of a few low mileage '07s throwing rods under boost. I talked to the service manager at local dealer about installing the Ford Racing blower on a '08 and he told me they did one a few months ago on a '07 and the guy bent two rods after 11,000 miles. Seems like the '05-'06 can handle over 500hp without any problems.

Guys are the rods weaker in the '07 and '08 cars? I have heard of a few low mileage '07s throwing rods under boost. I talked to the service manager at local dealer about installing the Ford Racing blower on a '08 and he told me they did one a few months ago on a '07 and the guy bent two rods after 11,000 miles. Seems like the '05-'06 can handle over 500hp without any problems.

As far as I know, the rods and pistons in the '05-'06 and '07-'08 are the same. There are so many variables that could have contributed the other guys engine failure. Small indifferences/imperfections in the engine, his driving style, the quality and/or octane rating of the fuel he was running.

The 400hp kit seems to be the safe bet. Sure, guys are getting away with the 500hp versio...but again, for how long? If it were me, I'd be sticking with the lower horsepower version till my warranty had expired, or at the very least until I was able to afford both the 500hp upgrade and a forged short block to replace the stock one in the event of unexpected failure.

...but that's just me. :shrug:

WK-200752B (Black) or WK-200752P (Polished) for 2005-2006 Mustang GT

Thats the Whipple Part # for the FRPP/Whipple Intercooled HO kit set at only
7psi. Its an intercooled kit for the Automatic. It comes with the GT500 Fuel Pumps just like the 10psi Manual Kit.

It will be easily upgraded with a pulley change and a PCM reflash to the 500 hp version.

The standard FRPP/Whipple Tune isnt the greatest but hopefully your will work okay. If it turns out to be very lean its hard to FRPP to admit the problem and fix it.
If you go aftermarket to save your engine then your warranty is void. Catch 22.

PS The warranty is only 12 month or 12000 mi if you already have over 1000 mi or at least thats my understanding. The 36,000 mi waranty is actually intended for new cars sold with the kit.

All of these issues are what made me just decide to stay normally aspirated.

7 psi will put you at or near 415 rwhp. Just get that kit, run the car around a while and if you want to upgrade later just like Gene K said buy a pulley and I'm sure it will also require a belt and probably an idler pulley to make it all happen. At least you'll have the fuel system and intercooler. I think you'll like it. I mean, you'll definitely be smoking the tires at will. That problem with Whipple ProCal tunes being lean as hell is rare. The Ford engineered tunes are supposed to be the best canned tunes out there

Haven't heard about that. Any year 05 and up, when your at 500rwhp your on thin ice when the bottom end is stock. Some that are well tuned, or not racing that often are surviving, but I think failure at that point is not a matter of if, its when. I built my bottom end with JE pistons, scat rods, cobra crank when I knew I was going over the 500 mark. I also race mine quite a bit to. You will like this pic:

Attachments

• rodtoothbrushweb.jpg
    rodtoothbrushweb.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 85
Haven't heard about that. Any year 05 and up, when your at 500rwhp your on thin ice when the bottom end is stock. Some that are well tuned, or not racing that often are surviving, but I think failure at that point is not a matter of if, its when. I built my bottom end with JE pistons, scat rods, cobra crank when I knew I was going over the 500 mark. I also race mine quite a bit to. You will like this pic:

well i think i'll probably avoid the high end horsies for now, 415 rwhp sounds just about right, i'll probably upgrade the suspension next, then brakes, and maybe tranny. Whats that pic of btw? A super whippled out piston i take it? And also do you got an auto? (thought i noticed it on your signature)

Yeah, I always refer to the horsepower as rwhp. So if the kit is rated at 500 hp (at the flywheel), then typical drivetrian loss is around 15%, which would make it yes around 425rwhp---with a good tune the stock bottom end can survive at that level---many are higher then that. I will say, however, that I have read about engines failing at all different power levels. One was a turbo at 452rwhp. So while we can pick a number, its going to depend on the tune and alot of other factors. But with a good tune 425rwhp shouldn't be a problem.

well 425 rwhp doesn't sound so bad if ya ask me. Maybe I'll have to consider that....well anyways I'll let ya guys know what i'll do, the H.O. Whipple kit 7 psi sounds like my best bet netting 405 rwhp, I'll see if i can get ahold of it.....only thing is how do i get it.....the whipple h.o. at lethal performance offer 10-12 psi and i don't know if i want that much....is there a way to change it with less psi?

Yeah, sorry about that, when I first read your posts, I thought you were talking about 500 rwhp. I still stand by what I said earlier, at 500 rwhp you would be on borrowed time.

However, I did not realize you were talking about horsepower at the flywheel. So to sum up, keep it below 450rwhp, and have a conservative tune with conservative timing at WOT and the stock bottom end should do fine.