Swapping engines and Suspension Question

chaka

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2002
Boston, MA
I am about to purchase a Mustang II. It currently has the V6 w/auto. Not sure on the year. I can't be picky anyway.

Does the 2.3 and V6 have the same bellhousing? Plan on swapping a 2.3 turbo in and was hoping to use the auto till I found a good manual tranny.

Has anyone used a T-5 or I am I better off finding a Rad4? Need to start searching the JY's closely now.

For the motor mounts I just need the mounts and then the frame stands? Do not know much about these cars so any info is great.

I want this car for the twisties. Have heard a lot of good things about the front suspension. What are some improvements that I can do to increase handling without lowering ride height.

• Sponsors (?)

chaka said:
I am about to purchase a Mustang II. It currently has the V6 w/auto. Not sure on the year. I can't be picky anyway.

Does the 2.3 and V6 have the same bellhousing? Plan on swapping a 2.3 turbo in and was hoping to use the auto till I found a good manual tranny.

Has anyone used a T-5 or I am I better off finding a Rad4? Need to start searching the JY's closely now.

For the motor mounts I just need the mounts and then the frame stands? Do not know much about these cars so any info is great.

I want this car for the twisties. Have heard a lot of good things about the front suspension. What are some improvements that I can do to increase handling without lowering ride height.

I'm not 100% sure on the bellhousing pattern.

I'd suggest going with a T-5 for sure. They are easy to come by and since you're doing a custom install and don't care about originallity, there's not reason to use the RAD.

As for the suspension, call up Heidts and have them send you a catalog. They have a GREAT section in the front, that goes into vast detail on the Mustang II front suspension, and how difference changes have different affects. They talk about springs rates, bump steer, and different rack and control arm setups. VERY informative.

On my 2.3 car I installed a T-5 out of a '84 Turbo Coupe and used the original RAD bellhousing, clutch and pressure plate on the T-5 (direct bolt on). You will need to massage the shifter opening as it's about 1 1/2" further forward and you may have to slot the holes on the transmission mount crossmember (I didn't).

Francis

EDIT: Oh yeah, I am 99% sure the V6 bellhousing is different. Wished I knew you were looking, I had to clear some space and I threw a 2.3 RAD bell out last month. :(