Sway bar trouble

Fomocohipo

Feb 3, 2004
The other day I went to investigate a annoying rattle coming from the back of my car and found that the rear sway bar had riped out of the frame! The U bolt tore straight out of the metal leaving a 3 inch slit in the frame. Does anyone know what could have caused this?? there doesnt appear to have any rust. Maybe its wheel hop or something? I have no idea.

• Sponsors (?)

when I installed my rear sway, I noticed how thin the frame metal appeared. I was wondering just how strong that area coud be. I imagine that some sort of reinforcing bracket could be welded over/around the frame for the purpose of mounting the sway.

I've heard of that happening. It comes from the rearend twisting, like driving in and out of driveways and other substantial grade changes. I have the same concern because I just put one on the back of my 66 stang. One guy I know said its happened like three times to him. I guess just try welding a thicker diameter plate on top of the hole to spread load it.

its only been towed once on a flat bed and i hardly ever lift the back up, cant think of any slopes where it would twist the rear. Think it has anything to do with launching at the track?

I dont think i have weel hop, im 99% shure i have posi but its messed up b/c at times both light up and usually its just the right side. (worn clutch discs?) I dont really know what wheel hop feels like but when i peel out it doesnt like hop/shake or anything. BTW as we speak i got it welded up and the right side bracket to the leaf spring riped off too so thats back together.