Switching from 3.73's to 4.10's (worth it)

LOL my 97 automatic, pre head swapped, N/A GT with 3.73's and 275's in the back has no problem laying rubber. I had the 3.73's for about 5 months and honestly, I couldn't tell a difference. After the 4.10's went in literally, 2nd gear pulled as hard as 1st gear did and 3rd and 4th also pull a LOT harder. I held back on the 4.30s (It was really tempting) but since I do a fair amount of highway driving, I didn't want to have to drive 60 on the interstate to keep the RPM's in a reasonable range. Right now at 80, the rpms are right at 3000 so it's not too bad. Eventually down the road, I'll get a blower. I saved the 3.73's just in case the 4.10's can't take it but for now, they're perfect.

• Sponsors (?)

FastRedPonyCar said:
LOL my 97 automatic, pre head swapped, N/A GT with 3.73's and 275's in the back has no problem laying rubber. I had the 3.73's for about 5 months and honestly, I couldn't tell a difference. After the 4.10's went in literally, 2nd gear pulled as hard as 1st gear did and 3rd and 4th also pull a LOT harder. I held back on the 4.30s (It was really tempting) but since I do a fair amount of highway driving, I didn't want to have to drive 60 on the interstate to keep the RPM's in a reasonable range. Right now at 80, the rpms are right at 3000 so it's not too bad. Eventually down the road, I'll get a blower. I saved the 3.73's just in case the 4.10's can't take it but for now, they're perfect.

what tires do you have?

wil - i had 4.10's in my non pi 98 gt (mods in sig.), & they worked great. i dropped 3 tenths the first time at the track, & that was at a 1/8th mi track :nice: so yeah i think they work pretty well :D

and for whoever was talking about gas milage. i was getting around 300+ per tank, after full exhust & gears. its all in how you drive it, cause its quite a bit more tempting to nail it with the gears, which in turn screws you milage :(

jorge said:
how bout if u stay with stock tires? will 4.10's just not let u take off in 1st..?

i did fine in first with the stock kwds's on my car. don't get me wrong they aren't the best (& i got new tires only due to a bent rim(s) :mad: ), but if you learn how to drive with them, they are no problem at all :nice:

Damnit. You guys sound like sissys. If I could get away with it, Ide do 4.56 gears in my car. However, I would be really chancing running out of gear since my motor is internally stock and I dont have those extra few hundred rpms. Therefore, Im going with 4.30's. I have a 2001 Mustang GT that has the 4r70w automatic. I also have a 3000rpm stall torque converter in my car to go with the gears. If I had a five speed, Ide probably do 4.56 gears since the cruising rpms on the interstate in a five speed w/ 4.56's is equal to an auto with 3.73s.

Will I loose gas mileage ? In town, probably not. On the interstate, most definately. Is it going to be a HUGE loss in gas mileage ? Probably not. If youre really worried about gas mileage, then you shouldnt be driving a Mustang. Plain and simple. If you want performance, then you need gears. As its been said before. For good performance, anything less than 4.10 gears in a n/a GT is a waste. My brother did 3.73's in his GT. Its a 01 auto just like mine. Now, he wants 4.10's.

Dark Knight GT said:
Plain and simple. If you want performance, then you need gears. As its been said before. For good performance, anything less than 4.10 gears in a n/a GT is a waste.

I may be one of the few, but I dont necessarily think 3.73's are a waste of a gear N/A. Good performance? If you're always driving in a straight line during the weekends then maybe. Actually if you're changing to a shorter rear end gear (4.10, 4.30 & up) you are simply compensating a lack of engine power to just get you a faster ET in the 1/4 mile..that's it. If youre really into good performance, you could invest that money into making MORE POWER for your engine. Or maybe some suspension work or a brake upgrade...all things that improve performance as well.

3.73's I feel is a well rounded gear that suits a wide variety of situations. I'm running mid 13's with minimal mods. I also do alot of highway driving and like having some decent top end as well. Go ahead, put 4.56's on your car and you'll really like it when a Honda Civic passes you at 120 because you "ran out of gear". :nonono:

DaNd4Speed said:
I may be one of the few, but I dont necessarily think 3.73's are a waste of a gear N/A. Good performance? If you're always driving in a straight line during the weekends then maybe. Actually if you're changing to a shorter rear end gear (4.10, 4.30 & up) you are simply compensating a lack of engine power to just get you a faster ET in the 1/4 mile..that's it. If youre really into good performance, you could invest that money into making MORE POWER for your engine. Or maybe some suspension work or a brake upgrade...all things that improve performance as well.

3.73's I feel is a well rounded gear that suits a wide variety of situations. I'm running mid 13's with minimal mods. I also do alot of highway driving and like having some decent top end as well. Go ahead, put 4.56's on your car and you'll really like it when a Honda Civic passes you at 120 because you "ran out of gear". :nonono:

Ok. I see what youre saying. Yes, the gears help to make up for the lack of power that you have. However, they help you out despite how much power you have. They are a good way to put you in your powerband. I also agree that you should invest money into making more power such as exhuast, pullies, ignition timing, and induction work. I also agree suspension is an important link in making a fast car. However, gears are a MUST for the n/a car that is looking to make the most of the car at the drag strip. Key words I guess is drag and strip. Its been said before and I totally agree. Anything less than 4.10's in a n/a car that sees strip time AND has an owner who is looking for the most out of their car is a waste.

BTW, even with 4.56 gears I still wouldnt run out of gear at 120mph. More like 150mph.

DaNd4Speed said:

:stupid: I totally agree. Gears help to a certain extent but can't make up for genuine power. I dig straight line acceleration and all that but the majority of my money has been put into making my car well rounded and good for all types of driving. auto crossing is a million times more satisfying than drag racing and stepping up to 4.10's was an absolute blessing in that aspect. The majority of the time road racing or auto crossing is spent in the upper rpms' and the ability to reach those faster helped tremendously.

More power is always fun but things get dangerous if your car's suspension and chassis is unable to deal with it. It's kinda like bodybuilding (something I know little about but have been given this analogy). Athletes focus on the body as a whole instead of just arms or just chest. If you're building a drag car then focusing on 1 aspect is fine but the majority of us want well rounded street machines and it's easy to get caught up with just going fast and forgetting that the factory suspension wasn't made to deal with 400 hp.

i read that pre-01 trannies had different gearing than post-01's.. t45 - t3660(?).. that 3.73's on a t45 would equal a 4.10 on a t3660.

Reason why stock for stock that 99 and 00's are faster than 01 - current.