Symptoms of Dirty/Fouled/Bad Fuel Injectors

The Axle Doctor

Sep 25, 2002
Hey..

I was wondering what kind of symptoms you'd get from running fuel injectors that are dirty or in need of replacement on a 2.3 EFI N/A... I'm running some on a Pinto 2.3 EFI project I've got going, and am wondering if I should replace them.

The ones I am running are off of an '87, so they are least THAT old... on top of that I have no idea of how many miles they have on them (Probably LOTS).

Any suggestions?

Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

you'll either run rich or lean, resulting in black smoke, or backfiring. dirt can block the pintle or stop it from opening all teh way, causing a lean fuel mixture, or it can keep it open, giving you a rich condition. also the hats on the front of the injectors can break from stress and block the fuel flow from the injector... take em out and have em checked out...

I have an '85 SVO motor and it had the stock brown tops injectors and I had gas in my oil. I took them out and hooked them up to another intake and I watched the fuel spray. The first 3 were good sprays but the fourth was like jet stream mode on a garden hose. I guess what I am trying to say is smell your oil and see if it smells like gas.