Synthetic Blend????

67coupe

Founding Member
Apr 5, 2002
Huntsville, AL
I've got 74,000 miles on my 89 LX and intend on daily driving it for a long time. I would like to start running synthetic in her, but am worried about leaks. I was thinking about running Valvoline Durablend for a couple of changes as a possible transition to full syn. It's only a $1 more per quart than regular.

I know synthetics give just a few more hp, but do they really offer extra protection over conventional oil. I use Valvoline 10W-30 right now. Motorcraft FL-1A filter.

If possible could I hear of some personal experiences of some of you changing over on a higher milage motor. Also, any opinions on blends, especially valvoline.

• Sponsors (?)

Cheese and rice!! fix the leaks!!! If your not leaking now... why should you start?? thinner liquid?? The bennifit of the syn, is way more than having to fix a leaking v/cover or gasket!! And there is NO NEED to work up to the syn oils.... do it!! reap MORE HORSE POWER, better internal cooling and lubrication!! If it leaks... FIX them!! dont be scared!! cool?? LOL

Just me...............................

Thumper

Cool. I think I'm gonna do it. :flag:

When switching to syn, just use the same weight that I did for dino...right?

No leaks now. Not even any residue underneath. I would just hate to have to replace a rear main. It would be my luck.

What about the oil change intervals???

Thanks again.

I've never mixed blends on my Mustang, but I did do it on my dads 1993 Toyota Camry. I change the oil on all the cars in my family whenever I'm up in Niagara Falls visiting and I've switched between conventional oils to synthetic blends. Conventional oils I used during the spring and summer months and just before winter I'd switch it over to synthetic. Sometimes I'd put four parts Catrol conventional 10w-30 and 1 part 5W-50 of castrol synthetic. Never had a problem with leaks and we sold the car 2 years ago for $4500 with 300,000km or 187,500 miles on the engine (1.6 km = 1 mile).

I've heard the worst that can happen with switching to synthetic on a high mileage engine is that the synthetic will loosen up the old oil left by the conventional types on the oil pan walls and recycle it throught the engine. As for leaks, those were always there but plugged up from the old gunk from the conventional oils used. If you really want to do the switch yourself and do it properly you'll need to spend about $100 on 10 bottles of synthetic oil (your choice), 2 premium oil filters, and one bottle of internal engine cleaner. On your next oil change, take the car out for a nice long drive. Stop on the side of the road and pour the engine oil cleaner in. Drive the car again for about 15 minutes. Park it, and drain the oil and remove the filter. Let the car drain well. Then pop open a bottle of one of the sythetic oil cans and with the oil plug still removes, slowly pour the synthetic it. Looking under neith you should see the oil you just poured in come out with some extra gunk. Depending how much gunk you see, you may have to use another bottle. Put the pan plug in, tighten and put in a new oil filter. Fill up the car on the new synthetic oil. Take the car out again for another long run this time (Do shopping or something). Then go home and while hot, do another oil and filter change with the synthetic and you should be fine. Most guys here may say the 2 oil changes are unnecesary and you only need one, but that's pretty much what the professionals do and they charge about $100 for it to. It's safer too as you don't want any of that cleaner being left behind for 3500 miles and it ensures you got all the gunk out.

Cool!! Syn. oil doesnt wear out!! it gets contaminated!!
when the stuff first came out in the 70s... they were going 25K w/o oil changes, just droping the filter and adding a qt!! AMSIOL has an extrenal filter system and you can keep the oil in there for 25K again and it stays pretty clean!! BMW goes 10K on a service!! ( My Mini is syn from the factory, so is the Vette and a lot of others..) I would change every 10 K with a filter between!! See what the Mfg says!! Mobil 1, Castro, AMSOIL... they will all help with the tech side of the house!! We used Only syn when we were in ALASKA for 12 years... ever try to start a petrolium based oil when its -25* ?? LOL

Just me..........................

Thumper

PS.. CC did a test where they replaced all the lubes in a race car, engine oil, trans , rear diff.. and droped .4 !! that is HP!!