System woes in my 93 notch

I purchased my car about a month ago. I decided to get the system better and make it sound decent. My money is going to the engine tranny and rear. I just want an acceptable system that sounds equivalent to a modern car ( no 12's 600w amp etc). Like i said, I am building a 10 second street car.

What I have done is as follows: I put in a Pioneer head unit, 220 watt pioneer 6x8's in the rear, sony 180 watts 6.5" in the door, I am getting the 3.5" today for the dash. So far the little cheap replacement system sounds 100% better than stock.

My problems are---- The door panels are smashing the foam on the aftermarket 6.5's in the door; not bad but they do touch. Is it killing much bass I could be getting from the doors? Also , I picked up an 80w amp from a buddy of mine for nothing. I put it in to push the rear 6x8's a little. That thing made my whole system shut down. Then I would get it to work and it sounded like crap. THe speakers can't be being overloaded could they. Any ideas? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

well If i were you i wouldn't want to amp out the back, i would want to amp out the front. If you have probs. w/ your door panels you should cut them so they fit properly. It sounds like you had a bad ground when you hooked the amp up? You are never going to get "bass" out of yor speakers, any of them, you'll get a little thump but never any earth shattering bass. I dont think you overloaded the amp unless you hooked the speakers up in mono? NICE notch by the way, hope this helps but probably doesnt. Speakers in the back are for rear fill speakers in the front are for listing to. if your thinking about bass i would get a free air 8" sub and cut it into the center of your rear deck and you'll have some bass? my .02

Strokedandblown thanks-- I spoke to a radio installer at best buy a few minutes ago. He said it sounds like i have inverted the speaker wires when i spliced them. He gave me the color code for pos and neg. I am sure that is what I have done. All i did was cut them and hook them up.