T-3650 Trans noise, gears 4 and 5

slowstang4.6

Dec 18, 2006
To start off with, this is on my brand new Bullitt that I have had for less than a week, the car has just over 500 miles on it. I missed a 1-2 shift (yes, it was high-RPM) once a couple days ago and have been paranoid ever since. The trans shifts good cold or warm with no grinding or excessive clunkiness. I know that the 3650 is known for being loud and clunky, but this one seems much smoother than my 01 with the same trans. Only problem I have noticed is that *sometimes* after I shift into fourth or fifth gear, there is a distinctive whining sound for several seconds. The sound is similar to the whine you hear when downshifting at too high of an RPM level without matching revs. I can let on and off the throttle and the noise changes, but doesn't go away. It only gooes away if I put the clutch in and back out. If I don't do this it will go away after 5-10 seconds. It is also a very subtle sound that you can only hear with the windows up, blower speed low, and radio off. I want to emphasize again that it shifts fine, its just the noise that worries me. At thius point I am sure I would be told "its normal" or "I don't hear anything" if I took it in. I am just concerned that it will gradually get worse. Does it sound like the synchros going south? Maybe its from the clutch? Seems to be coming from the shifter area, but its hard to tell for sure.Anyone else ever experienced this. or am I just being my typichal hypochondriac self? Any input appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Save a little coin,

and put a tr6060 in; more fun and reliable; dosent have that funky shift mechanism.

From my experience, you either get one now or later. Best to save the hassel (and $$, and down time) of fighting that transmission, b/c it will not end 'till you do...

JMO