t-5 question

Ok I put a new bearing retainer on my t-5. And now I have this god awfull whine. Sounds like a bearing. :shrug: Could the input shaft bearing be going bad? I put a new throwout bearing on and pilot bearing. Or could one of those bearings be bad? It makes the whine when it is in gear. Does not do it in nuetral. But it does it in every gear. Any help would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a tough one. When you put the new bearing retainer in, did you swap over the inside shims from the old one??? If not, you should have used the original shims with the new bearing retainer.

You have to check the endplay, I have had to add and subtract shims on Fords and the other aftermarkets. Remember to put some permatex around the retainer before bolting it down or the front will leak.

If the front bearing lets go it will cause a lot of damage....

You use a dial caliper with a magnetic mount, end play is how much the shaft moves in and out, it will have some play side to side.

The first thing I would do is check the fluid level on the tranny, the fill plug is the top plug on the passenger side, if you stick the small end of a allen wrench in the hole you should get fluid, if not the fluid is low and that alos causes the front bearing to whine.

It is near impossible to tell .002" by hand it really needs to be checked with a dial mic.

Spec is .000-.002 preferred, you do not want it preloaded or it adds stress to the imput shaft and front bearing.