T-5 Z Question

I was looking at the t-5Z tranny for my stang and I called Ramchargers in Michigan for a price. The guy told me that the t-5 Z was actually made by liberty. Can anyone confirm this? I don't know if this guy was just making a sale or if ford actually outsourced this part? Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure what difference that makes. The T-5 is a Borg Warner/Tremec tranny. I don't know what all you have in mods but I'm putting down a considerable amount of torque through the Super Duty T-5 that I purchased through Summit and have not had any trouble (Blowzilla and a few other mods). They're built up a little heavier and may even be cheaper than purchasing a T5Z locally.

On a slightly different topic... I don't recommend using the stock shifter on any new T-5. Long story but... save yourself the potential for a catastophy and just swap the thing out.

Call D&D in wixom mich, they always have the best price and service when it comes to T5's. I dont know what the guy from Ramchagers is smokin, but Tremec makes the T5z and the T5 Cobra(z has 2.95 Ist, cobra has 3.35 1st.

Liberty trans is a rebuilder/modifier, not a manufacturer.

strtracer442 said:
Call D&D in wixom mich, they always have the best price and service when it comes to T5's. I dont know what the guy from Ramchagers is smokin, but Tremec makes the T5z and the T5 Cobra(z has 2.95 Ist, cobra has 3.35 1st.

Liberty trans is a rebuilder/modifier, not a manufacturer.

I thought the same thing. What does the stock T-5 have 2.95 or 3.35? Thanks I'll check out D&D.

Carney Woods said:
I thought the same thing. What does the stock T-5 have 2.95 or 3.35? Thanks I'll check out D&D.

Standard T5 can have 2.95 or 3.35 depending on the year. 1984 (85/86 too I think) had 2.95 1st. in 1987 the T5 went to 3.35 1st gear stayed there through '95. Early T5's are really weak.

And any aftermarket tranny also is a 2.95 first. Both D&D and Hanlon motorsports set up T5s to be much stronger than factory. Also the T5Zs. Not as strong as a Tremec, but plenty for most. The cause for most T5 deaths is the shifter (stock ones can break the shifter forks because they have no stops on them), power shifting, and the main shaft wear with the stock supports.
Daniel

BornInAFord said:
And any aftermarket tranny also is a 2.95 first. Both D&D and Hanlon motorsports set up T5s to be much stronger than factory. Also the T5Zs. Not as strong as a Tremec, but plenty for most. The cause for most T5 deaths is the shifter (stock ones can break the shifter forks because they have no stops on them), power shifting, and the main shaft wear with the stock supports.
Daniel

I know all about the weak T-5's I left part of the main shaft in the yoke last October :bang:. Time to upgrade

maverick0716 said:
All world class T-5's (85+) had the 3.35 first gear. The Super Duty T-5's have the 2.95 first gear.....and 0.63 5th gear for that matter.

The mid 1983 & 1984 5 speeds had the 2.95 1st gear. Maybe they weren't "World Class" tranny's, but they had that first gear ratio.

All ratios HERE Scroll almost all the way to the bottom.

I did some serious looking at the T5-Z about a year ago. I'd like to get one for my convertible. Anyway, I think the biggest thing you would notice is it would only drop about 1000 rpm between shifts - give or take a little. The T5-Z practically begs for a minimum of 3.73's or 4.10's.

In fact the calculations I did showed that the T5-Z with 4.10 gears (when comapred to a stock T5 with 3.73 gears) had a little less 1st gear overall, which would help with getting traction out of the hole. But then it had noticably more 2nd, 3rd and 4th overall ratios. And then the beautiful part, the .62 5th gear gives almost exactly the same over drive as the 3.73's with the stock T5. It's like Ford said 'Let's make a T5 that is designed for 4.10 gears.'

Basically it's a close ratio overdrive.

I had a Z box in my car for years. It was a great piece, no doubt. It does make for a less aggressive launch though in comparison to the 3.35 firsts...

Just some food for thought... have you looked into the G-Force trannies? I just rebuilt my ZT-5 with G-force parts, and it is by far the best T-5 you can buy. I think it cost me around 1500 (bad memory)... but its the last gearset you'll have to buy... and its not that much over a new Z box.

I have looked at the g-force. While it's what my long term goal will be I have some issues with shipping/availability cause of where I live. I can have my Dad get a Z this week when he goes to Indy and save a Butt load of cash in shipping and customs fees. The closest
place I can get a G-force is in Penn state and not worth the 8 hr drive you know? Free trade my AZZ!

Wknd_Warrior said:
I had a Z box in my car for years. It was a great piece, no doubt. It does make for a less aggressive launch though in comparison to the 3.35 firsts...

Just some food for thought... have you looked into the G-Force trannies? I just rebuilt my ZT-5 with G-force parts, and it is by far the best T-5 you can buy. I think it cost me around 1500 (bad memory)... but its the last gearset you'll have to buy... and its not that much over a new Z box.

Good point. The gear ratios are almost the same and it is a much stronger gear box.

Here's the link to G-Force for their T5.

t5.jpg

Attachments

• t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 46