T5 swap questions

3spd on floor

Founding Member
Aug 13, 2002
Acworth, GA
Ok, i'm in the middle of my swap, meaning that both transmissions are on the floor of my garage, and i've got a few things i need to know.

1) Can i use the same pilot bearing/bushing for the T5 that was on the old 3spd? I am reusing the original clutch/flywheel and t/o bearing.

2) Will the old starter motor fit on the new bellhousing?

3) I dont have T5 block plate, so i'm just using the old one, but the holes at the bottom dont line up with the new bellhousing. Can i just leave this un-bolted and perhaps RTV it shut? Or should i drill a couple new holes in it to put the bolts in?

4) I need a new tailshaft seal, and both parts stores that i've been to have given me the wrong one. The flange is the right size, but the rubber dust cover is about 3/4 inch too long. If i were to install it, the rubber boot would extend far beyond the output shaft, and it doesnt seem right. Any thoughts? I'll also post this one in the 5.0 crowd, see if they're any help.

Thanks again guys,

3"soon to be 5"spd on floor

• Sponsors (?)

Are you going to run a cable clutch 3spd? I though you were for some reason, but you sound as if you're not going to. But to answer your question, you can use the old pilot bearing/bushing, but how long has it been in there? (same with the t/o bearing) The old starter will work. Mine just bolted right in with no problems. My buddy had to grind the flange a little bit to get it to fit on his 65, but it sounded like it was because he got the wrong starter, so just try it and see what happens. You could drill new holes, but I think (and I am not sure) that the thickness of the block plate for the T-5 was different. I remember reading somewhere that you have to use the T-5's block plate if you use the T-5 bellhousing. I'll go out and mic my old block plate and the T-5's and see if there is a difference. As for the tailshaft seal, I don't think you have a problem here. I am not 100% what yours looked like, but here is what mine looks like. Even if the slip yoke does slide in due to rear axle movement, it won't damage this dust cover.
http://www.livermoremuscle.com/Images/driveshaft2.jpg

-Shaun

Shaun,

I decided not to run a cable clutch when i realized that i couldnt keep my current clutch with it (lever style), and it looks like it would be kinda tricky to route around my longtubes. I am on a bit of a budget right now so i was hoping to just yank out the old trans and in with the new. Undoubtedly, sooner or later my clutch is gonna need replacing, and when i do that i'll likely convert over to cable, or hydrolic. Maybe i should just bite the bullet and do it now while its all apart....

Secondly, yes thats what the seal they had looked like. If its working fine for you i guess i'll use that, i was just a little worried when i pulled it out of the box and it didnt match the one that was on there.

About the block plate, i had heard that it doesnt really make a difference, i've had some people tell me they're not even running one.

Thanks, hopefully i'll get this installed by the end of the day today.

I messured both and they are pretty much the same (.005 difference :D ) I was able to make my own cable clutch system, which only costed $40 for the cable itself. I made a quadrant (out of 1/8" cold roll) like Mustang Steve's (gives away the pull radius on his website) and fab up a firewall re-enforcement plate out of 1/8" cold roll. If you want the drawings of the quadrant then let me know. You'll be on your own for the re-enforcement plate, as I have a 67; however, I can post pics to give you an idea. Just let me know.

-Shaun

3spd on floor said:
Ok, i'm in the middle of my swap, meaning that both transmissions are on the floor of my garage, and i've got a few things i need to know.

1) Can i use the same pilot bearing/bushing for the T5 that was on the old 3spd? I am reusing the original clutch/flywheel and t/o bearing.
>>Yes, should be able to.

2) Will the old starter motor fit on the new bellhousing?
>>Yes, it should.

3) I dont have T5 block plate, so i'm just using the old one, but the holes at the bottom dont line up with the new bellhousing. Can i just leave this un-bolted and perhaps RTV it shut? Or should i drill a couple new holes in it to put the bolts in?
>>Drill holes, the metal is thin, you don't want dirt in the clutch and pressure plate.

4) I need a new tailshaft seal, and both parts stores that i've been to have given me the wrong one. The flange is the right size, but the rubber dust cover is about 3/4 inch too long. If i were to install it, the rubber boot would extend far beyond the output shaft, and it doesnt seem right. Any thoughts? I'll also post this one in the 5.0 crowd, see if they're any help.

>>Hmmmm, not sure about that, I didn't run into that problem.

Thanks again guys,

3"soon to be 5"spd on floor