tax time...what should i get?

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
Norman, Ok
well, as most everyone else, i want a lot of things for my car, thus making the decision rather complicated for me. i'm not working with a whole lot of $$$, and i don't want to spend it all on my car. i've got a couple different ideas i'm tossing around including the following:

1. SSBC rear disc brake conversion from LMR
Mustang 87-92 Rear Disk Brake Conversion Kit, 4 Lug, With Slotted & Plated Rotors by SSBC at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

if i get the rear disc conversion, it'll probably be all i get.

2. Edelbrock E street heads.
Ford E-Street Cylinder Head, 5.0/5.8L With 2.02"/1.60" Valves & 60Cc Combustion Chamber, 170Cc Intake Runners Pedestal Mount - Sold As A Pair by Edelbrock at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

or

Ford E-Street Cylinder Head, 5.0/5.8L With 1.90"/1.60" Valves & 60Cc Combustion Chamber, 170Cc Intake Runners Pedestal Mount - Sold As A Pair by Edelbrock at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

i haven't decided on 2.02's or 1.90's. this one is still kind of iffy because i don't want to spend that much of my return on one thing, and if i'm going to drop that dough on some heads, i'd really rather save up and get what i really want which is some twisted wedges.

3. Dyno Tune nitrous wet kit
New 87-98 Mustang GT Nitrous System : eBay Motors (item 220548930659 end time Feb-04-10 13:58:30 PST)

not that exact kit, but the same one. i've heard nothing but good about dyno tune kits and know a few people locally that run them. if i go the n2o route, i'd get a purge kit, window switch, etc to go with it.

4. new weatherstripping and window tint
Mustang 87-93 Weatherstrip Kit, Coupe/Hatchback by 50resto at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

i need new run channel liners and door belt weatherstripping so i figured this kit would be a good choice. right now they leave streaks on my windows when i roll them up or down so i dont want to get tint until i replace them. after i do that, i'll get 15% sides and back and 5% on the quarter windows. this is the cheapest route so far so i'll probably get a new rack and pinion which i need along with a bumpsteer kit.

5. Moates Quarterhorse
QuarterHorse for Fords [QH1] - $249.00 : Moates.Net

i'd also have to purchase a binary editor and i'd probably get a wideband as well. this one is a little more intimidating because i have no clue how to tune a car but really want to start to learn how. i know it's a little unnecessary at my power level but i've always wanted one and i change parts around pretty often and don't want to have to pay for tunes all the time.

6. BBK ceramic longtube headers and offroad X or H pipe or pro chamber

you guys would laugh if you saw my exhaust setup. SUPER crappy Hedman longtubes with 1 1/2" primaries and 3" 3-bolt collector. so crappy i had to jack them up to get them to bolt up and the driver's side header was bent so bad that my exhaust guy had to beat on my floorboard so he could get the even crappier midpipe to bolt up to it. NON-mandrel bent H pipe that's been cut and welded on so much it's horrible. and since the driver's side header was bent up and towards the side of the car, there is a big "S" curve right there in the H pipe.

7. just a bunch of little random things like Redline Tuning hood struts, rear girdle, floor mats, steeda radiator support, etc.

if you have a different suggestion let me know! because i still have no idea!!

sorry i typed so much

• Sponsors (?)

i WANT to spend as little as possible, but i'm WILLING to spend up to maybe 700-800 depending on what it is.

how can i do the conversion cheaper? i don't really know what all is necessary to do the conversion, and i want to stay 4 lug.

Friend to friend....do NOT buy that rear disc brake conversion kit. That is outrageously overpriced. If you are staying 4 lug, I would just keep the stock drum setup you have. If I can talk you into going 5 lug, I would peice together junkyard parts out back. Ranger axle shafts, NRC brackets and 94-04 calipers and brackets with 94-95 specific flex hoses. That will be MUCH cheaper.

And I would install the nitrous kit. My buddy swears by his on his 5.0L. He has heads as well, but we wasn't completely satisfied with his car til the nitrous kit. He had a 100 shot, now he is running a 150 shot. He got that plate so it sprays directly into each cylinder. With a std. 150 shot to installing this kit, we jumped about 50RWHP and almost 85RWTQ.

gt40 x heads?

the northrace car dude is really easy to deal with, his rear disc conversion is complete. my vote goes to little stuff, weather stripping, floormats, new tint, ect. just fix stuff thats broken.

gt40 x heads?

the northrace car dude is really easy to deal with, his rear disc conversion is complete. my vote goes to little stuff, weather stripping, floormats, new tint, ect. just fix stuff thats broken.

x2....I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. BTW...I'd maybe skip on that 150 dollar weaterstrip kit and just replace the peices you actually need. If if comes out a tad cheaper than the whole kit you'll have a few extra bucks to spare.

ok so don't worry about a disc conversion yet? not even the north racecars kit? yeah i can save about $55 if i just get the run channel liners and door belts so that'd be a better idea. thanks a lot everyone for your input. i have it narrowed down more towards two different packages now:

n2o
weatherstripping (just pieces i need)
rack and pinion (i have a $50 AZ giftcard that i'll apply towards this)
bumpsteer kit
redline hood struts

after that, i'll get tint later on down the road with one of my pay checks.

second package is:

BBK ceramic long tubes
offroad H, X, or prochamber
weatherstripping
rack and pinion (gift card)
bumpsteer kit

later i'll get tint again.

what do you guys think?