tb breather , valve cover fiasco ??

mach_71

Mar 7, 2004
when i bought my car someone had just put non efi valve covers on it, so there was no oil filler at all :notnice: ...and obviously no hose to the throttle body ...it was just left open....but it ran fine......i put some valve covers on and ran a hose from the tb to the nipple on the valve covers , and now it idles real rough and shakes pretty bad and pops out the exaust....when i pull the hose off the tb and plug the vc nipple its much better. :shrug: ...so i pulled out the pcv valve and it rattles but the screen it filthy ,,any chance this is going to fix it?? any other ideas ?? Ive already checked for intake leaks , and all the other hoses ect..i

• Sponsors (?)

That is pretty stange. You'd think it would work the same as the stock setup.

Whatever you do make sure the crankcase has some way to breathe... The PCV is pullling vacuum in the crankcase, but it needs to have a way to replace the air thats being pulled via the PCV, and thats what the TB to valve cover hose is for. If you like these valve covers and are hell bent on keeping them, then install a K&N type breather on one side or something. If you dont do something to allow air to get back in from the PCV sucking it aout it will start to pull air from the seals or wherever it can.

My 65mm T body had no provision for the hard line that runs to the stock valve cover. So I plugged the nipple on the oil fill tube and the car developed a loud squeal which was air being pulled through the front seal. Drill provision in 65 mm T body, and installed the metal tube and plastic line and alls well.

Try finding some stock valve covers... :shrug:

I run carb motor covers on my car, with the tube attached. Ford Racing sells a breather that's closed, and has the nipple on it so you can hook the tube up. As far as your problems, I'd reset the computer. It might have learned to run with all that extra air from the PCV, and now it's richening up. That, and make sure the oil baffle is in the new covers so that you're not drawing oil into the intake.

i dont get it ..all this time its had no way to breath from the valve cover and ran fine ...now that its hooked up right it runs like crap...ive cleaned the pcv, aib?i think its called ,reset the computer, its got to be something else i accidently did while pulling the valve covers off...i took it down the street and its popping out the exhaust and has no power...pulled out the maf plug while it was running and it almost died,pulled egr connecter and it didnt do anything at all , pulled pcv and it started whistling , so i guess its sucking and the valve cover nipple is sucking air, I just tried to pull codes and got nothing at all with key on and running, idle went up and down ect goosed it up over 3k and no flashes??wtf