TCI Auto ratchet shifter

• Sponsors (?)

From one geezer to another, I've always wondered how these things worked. Have you tried these links? TCI® Ford 5R55S StreetFighter® Ratchet Shifter Install - CPG Nation Forum
or TCI - SHIFTERS : StreetFighter® Shifter They're very informative.

#$%*!@ Now I want one since I've learned how it works. SF is very hilly so I imagine it will make downshifting easier rather than kicking it and hoping it goes into the right gear; ditto for passing on freeways. Does anyone know a reputable shop in the SF Bay Area who could install this?

and another thing.... I bought a 7/75 warranty so if a transmission issue comes up I might have problems. (?)

From one geezer to another, I've always wondered how these things worked. Have you tried these links? TCI® Ford 5R55S StreetFighter® Ratchet Shifter Install - CPG Nation Forum
or TCI - SHIFTERS : StreetFighter® Shifter They're very informative.

#$%*!@ Now I want one since I've learned how it works. SF is very hilly so I imagine it will make downshifting easier rather than kicking it and hoping it goes into the right gear; ditto for passing on freeways. Does anyone know a reputable shop in the SF Bay Area who could install this?

and another thing.... I bought a 7/75 warranty so if a transmission issue comes up I might have problems. (?)
Have not seen one yet. But you can be sure , with that installed, Ford will try not to cover any type of warranty work.I am in the middle of a major engine issue and they are not covering my 6 year 60,000 mile motor! Basically, they need to tear down (at my expense) for approx 1,200.00. Then they will decide if they will cover it.If not, i still pay before i get the car back. The clearest answer i got is that it all depends on one technician and how he feels that day, believe it. Read your warranty very thourough.If the car is modified in ANY way, they have an out.

I ordered this three weeks ago directly from TCI but they are out of stock at the moment and I am waiting. I already have the console out of the car and the car was on stands for the first week.

I did find it's cheaper to order it from TCI at $360 compared to about $400 anywhere else.

I don't like autos but that's pretty damn neat if you have one.

All I can say is do it I don't see how the thing could damage your transmission in any way. Isn't the shifter remotely located and all the commands are sent electronically? You'd be more likely to mess things up mechanically with a 5 speed.

I'm just upset of the final production model with the lockout paddle:mad: The prototype pic looked sweet!!!!!
619570mustangratchetshifter.jpg

But now with that big ass paddle, I don't know how hurried I'll be at ordering one...
Also, with it being much taller than the stock shifter, I don't know if my new headunit will clear it in the open position???
DSC03372.JPG

Yeah, I liked the prototype better too but that's the way it goes sometimes at least I knew of the cosmetic change before I ordered one.

I ordered it on 3-25-09 and after a week I emiled them several times asking about the order status and got no reply. Finally I called them and was told it would be about 10 days more, but now they are telling me they won't have it until the end of April. In the meantime my console is in my trunk. :(

It's always been my understanding that manually shifting an automatic (as you would with a manual) is not recommended with the exception of engine braking while towing. These ratchet shifters are very cool but is their use bad for your transmission?

It's always been my understanding that manually shifting an automatic (as you would with a manual) is not recommended with the exception of engine braking while towing. These ratchet shifters are very cool but is their use bad for your transmission?
Then you're in the same boat as the manual guys when their clutches die...UPGRADE:rock:

So as one of the ?'s asked .... Is manualy shifting the Auto a bad thing ..?? Ive always wondering this.. my tci has been on order for 5 weeks now and downshifting is one of the thing im looking forward to doing...

So as one of the ?'s asked .... Is manualy shifting the Auto a bad thing ..?? Ive always wondering this.. my tci has been on order for 5 weeks now and downshifting is one of the thing im looking forward to doing...

I down shift mine all the time. Just keep an eye on your Tach when accelerating again so you don't get into the rev-limiter.

I like upshifting from a standing start or from 2 when merging onto the hwy. When I upshift, it makes for some pretty hard shifts but to my understanding its actually better for the transmission because its easier on the clutches (?) and other internal components.

I ordered this three weeks ago directly from TCI but they are out of stock at the moment and I am waiting. I already have the console out of the car and the car was on stands for the first week.

I did find it's cheaper to order it from TCI at $360 compared to about $400 anywhere else.

$340 at stage3motorsports.com