(Tech) Dan Wheel-Hop

MustangMatt1966

Mar 11, 2004
Orlando Fl.
I have been fighting an up-hill battle with wheel-hop. Under extrem acceleration, i just cant get the wheels to stay planted to the ground. First i added traction bars, then i replaced the back shocks....and now i am starting to think it may be a clutch chatter or something.. I am really stumped...please help me guys..thanks

Matt :(

• Sponsors (?)

I quess I should have asked how old the leafsprings are. If the leafsprings are originals replace them. If you are going to be doing some drag racing and can deal with a stiff ride, you will want to get a pretty stiff rear spring and replace yor bushings with a quality poly type the old rubber one just dont help all that much even if they are new. Now as far as shocks go you want a good 50/50 shock or even an adjustable type. I know you said you had just put new shocks on but if they are for more of a comfort type shock there not going to help all that much with your wheel hop. Slapper bars in my opinion just dont work you need a good traction bar, Cal-tracs are excellent, Comp Engineering makes a good setup also but I prefer the Cal-Tracs. Also your front shocks and your front springs could be playing into this. If you are unloading the rear suspension after you launch the car this also will cause wheel hop. Wheel hop is exactly that the tire is bouncing off the ground and either the springs and or the shocks just are not doing there job keeping the tire planted.