Which is a more difficult swap?

• H/C/I

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Transmission + Clutch

Votes: 9 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Sponsors (?)

xplo89gt said:
Wow. Just checked this today. Great responses guys.

So what is the hardest part of the tranny install? Doing the clutch? Or just the weight and pulling the tranny? How much easier is it with a trans jack?

Tranny is much easier with a hoist and a tranny jack but it is very doable in a driveway

cardudeusa said:
I voted tranny and clutch being harder. I thought doing the H/C/I was easy. I guess the hardest part of the tranny install was lifting the tranny, how many people have picked up a t-56, damn thing weighs a ton. I also am not a fan of working under the car a lot, thats another reason.

t56 aint that heavy man

as far as wich is easier, thats gonna depend on the person doing the work, from a purely generic stand point the HCI is mor difficult because its more nuts and bolts and you have to set up the valvetrain....

So if you have longtubes, can you not take the tranny out without taking the tubes out first? I haven't looked, but I am doing one soon..... don't tell me you have to disconnect the tubes before you can drop it.... if thats the case then I will drive without a clutch:)

Crunchie - you'll have to check out your situation. There are different header designs, different h/x pipes - I suspect the issue will be this. Drop the h/x pipe and I believe the tranny will clear most headers. But you may find that accessing bellhousing bolts, clutch cable, starter, etc. will be a pain in the butt with the long tubes in the way.

xplo89gt....For your clutch swap...Is the car drivable??? If so, I'm an hour or less North of you....

I have a lift in my garage and all the tools needed....Let me know if I can help you out.....We could blow it out in an a/noon... :nice:

lift_2.jpg

I personaly have done a trans. + clutch swap and it really wasn't that hard just took a while. Oh yeah by the way if you swap the aluminium throwout bearing retainer for a steel one on a T5 the replacement part does not have the bearing piece inside of it. This prevents your transmission from "working." Like I said easy but time consuming.

Kid wita 5oh said:
t56 aint that heavy man

as far as wich is easier, thats gonna depend on the person doing the work, from a purely generic stand point the HCI is mor difficult because its more nuts and bolts and you have to set up the valvetrain....

It was heavy to me, I can pick up a t-5 no problem. With 2 people lifting the t-56 it was still pretty heavy.

The tranny (T5) comes out no prob with longtubes just be sure to separate it from the bellhousing. The bellhousing with my BBK LT's took some positioning to get it out but it should all clear. Just have the trans and bellhousing in two pieces.

Hardest part of a clutch install is putting everything back together starting it up and finding a vibration, then having to rip it all apart to find it hehe... Always get your flywheel and clutch assembly balanced so you know how to re-assemble things. Even if the stuff is brand new, just spend the extra 50 and find out how to put it together right. Its not worth pulling the trans 3 times believe me... :bang:

t-5 is around 75ish pounds i would say.

i would rather do a h/c/i swap with all parts in the car then the transmission.

i think i could complete that pretty easily with a solid 8-10 hours of work by myself with hand tools. you only need to know two torque patterns and i have them memorized. hardest part would be pulling the timing chain cover and then lining up the gaskets on the oil pan and the timing chain gasket simultaniously.

done transmission/clutch in the car once. done h/c/i around 4-5 times now. oh not to mention laying on your back in transmission fluid that leaks everywhere. :bang:

Michael Yount said:
"Just put a rubber glove and elastic band around the tailshaft. Two gloves for insurance. "

Gee - for a minute there I wasn't sure what kind of forum I'd stumbled into...

I knew that was comin'. I don't want to see that as a custom title.

:rlaugh:

twin turbo kits.. finding enough clearance for 2 seperate turbochargers in our cramped lil engine bay, routing piping for intercooler, running fuel lines as to not have them land on a scorching hot manifold, fabbing, routing and mounting headers to intercooler piping, all kinda of fuel fittings an clamps.. ... all the while wondering if the turbo company "forgot" anything when you start to assemble it all, tuning issues after its all done...

tackle and succeed w/a t/t project an anything else is pie.