TFS Cam install questions

mustanghrspower

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
I have an 89 LX with a 306, TFS Track Heat heads, Track Heat intake, and TFS Stage 1 cam. The engine runs great, and makes good power, but when it reaches 5800-5900 RPM, it makes a funny noise back into the intake, almost like the intake valves are open too long, and instantly falls flat on power. It actually could rev higher than this with the stock cam, and this doesn't seem right. I installed the cam "dot to dot", and was wondering if it would help to change it to 4* advance or 4* retard on the crank timing sprocket, but I don't want to go through all that trouble to move it the wrong way, or to have it not make any difference. I have also tried moving the timing, changing the distributor, and my plugs/wires/cap/rotor are all new. I also run a MSD digital 6 ignition, and HVC coil, but I have tried switching to the stock coil/ignition with no improvement. I have a 150hp NOS system on the vehicle also, but I am afraid to use it with the engine acting like this at high RPM. I have also tried a different computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your experiencing valve float...which means your springs aren't up to the task of the higher lift/duration/ramp rates of the TFS1 cam over the stock cam...

Interesting

I also have a 306 with tfs heads, intake, and stage 1 cam. I have no apparent problem like that, but when i went from the B303 to this cam I did notice some high rpm power loss. I was thinking of upgrading to the higher rev springs offered by trick flow, you can get them from summit racing.