TFS twisted wedge V AFR 165 heads

• Sponsors (?)

tw!!!!!

no afr!!!!!

you probably wont find a direct answer to that question, they are both great sets of heads. I have TFS, they are very nice, but I wouldnt mind a set of AFR's, you wont go wrong with either.......

The TFS heads flow a bit better than the 165s (closer to 185s) but have a valve cover mating surface that's about 3/8s inch higher than the AFRs. The only time that little bit of extra height is of any concern is with a very few number of intakes. Something else that might play into your decision is that the TFS heads are VERY portable and down the road can turned from a good set of heads into an awesome set of heads. The AFRs can also be improved, just not to the same extent. In other words: There's more room to grow with the TFS heads over the AFR 165s.

Happy Hunting!

Daggar said:
The TFS heads flow a bit better than the 165s (closer to 185s) but have a valve cover mating surface that's about 3/8s inch higher than the AFRs. The only time that little bit of extra height is of any concern is with a very few number of intakes. Something else that might play into your decision is that the TFS heads are VERY portable and down the road can turned from a good set of heads into an awesome set of heads. The AFRs can also be improved, just not to the same extent. In other words: There's more room to grow with the TFS heads over the AFR 165s.

Happy Hunting!

I agree...

I'm happy with my AFR 165's...under the curve power is nice :nice:

thanks for the info, but the tfs heads have 61cc and the afr 165 has 58cc...so im thinking i'd get better compression, not to mention the tfs heads flow their best at a higher lift than the afr's, so i'd get to peak power sooner. im jsut curious because i have no idea on which head actually flows better, how do you know that the tfs flows better anyhow?

stang302v8 said:
thanks for the info, but the tfs heads have 61cc and the afr 165 has 58cc...so im thinking i'd get better compression, not to mention the tfs heads flow their best at a higher lift than the afr's, so i'd get to peak power sooner. im jsut curious because i have no idea on which head actually flows better, how do you know that the tfs flows better anyhow?

Flow data from various head vs. head articles. You'd probably be able to find that flow data here on the forum through the search function. The TFS heads flow just about neck and neck with the AFR 185s out of the box. The 185s are just a hair better. Total, I think there was roughly a 3 to 5 HP difference across the RPM range between the two heads running the same cam.

i see. I was going for the tfs heads but they have complications, such as require certain pushrod length, longer than stock, and with the weird valve angle they cant handle a cam lift of more than 224 degree .52? somthing like that. so now i think im leaning towards the afr 165's

The rule of thumb is no more than 224* @ .050" dur, No less than 112* LSA,
You can go up to approximately .550" lift with stock pistons.

Plan on getting theheaads with the upgraded springs if you think you might end up with forced induction.

TFS # 31400414 for just the springs.

TFS # 51400004 for the heads with the springs installed.

87GT 306 said:
Did u go with the spring upgrade on your AFR's? Im thinking about getting the upgrade springs because some people are telling me that Ill experience valve float. My cam is 544 int. 555 ex.

Yeah man, I went with the upgraded valve springs (that is a must with your cam) and I with with ARP 7/16 studs and the viton seal upgrade from Ed.

Definetely get the spring upgrade for sure :nice:

hello

i will go with AFR because they are complete CNC thy are 5cc smaller than TFS but it flows faster then TFS and has more exhaust CC than the TFS!
dont think more go with AFR!!!

331, 1 5/8" LTs, Comp xe264 cam, RPM air gap intake, and Speed Demon 650 carb, Twisted Wedge heads

Peak Airflow: TW, 248/182
Average Airflow: TW 305.88
Peak HP: TW 438
Peak TQ: TW 443
Average HP: TW 335
Average TQ: TW 408.2
Compression: TW 10.6

CHP 306, 1 5/8" LTs, Comp xe264 cam, Performer RPM air gap intake, Speed Demon 650 carb, AFR 165s

Peak Airflow: 240/200
Average Airflow: 293.97
Peak HP: 396
Peak TQ: 342
Average HP: 289
Average TQ: 354
Compression: 9.65

Yeah... unfortunately, it's often tough to get a magazine to compare apples to apples. They're buttering both sides of their bread.

The one full point in compression doesn't help any either.