Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Well...sh*t.

Im typing this from my passenger seat, debating on opening a beer, but its looking like yes.

Got the oil system finished and primed, taped up the unused vacuum ports, tweaked my old tune to show the new displacement and injector sizes and twisted the key...

*crickets*

Oh, right dummy, the neutral safety switch.

Twist key again...

rruuurruuuurrrr ruuur .... ruuur.. ruuuruuur. ........... rur.

12.2v at battery, 11.7v at the starter. Still shouldn't sound that slow. The starter is a piece of unknown age, but if judged by appearances, it's 30 years old. Sigh, guess I have a starter on my parts list now.
Could also be over Advance timing the TFI is push to start meaning it's going to add a specified amount of timing on crank added to the base timing likely it's only one degree but if you have the distributor set in a position where it's already adding 30 something degrees could make the crank very hard

• Sponsors (?)

Could also be over Advance timing the TFI is push to start meaning it's going to add a specified amount of timing on crank added to the base timing likely it's only one degree but if you have the distributor set in a position where it's already adding 30 something degrees could make the crank very hard
I thought about this too. I locked the timing at 10 degrees in Tunerstudio and moved the distributor around to see if I could find the sweet spot. Even bumped it around 180 to see if that was it and got nowhere. The starter has always been weak, even with the 302

Well, with much regret, I couldn't get it to fire. The timing is way off. I'd like to borrow an A9L to put in and verify the timing is at 10 degrees. The tune needs work too but I'm gonna have to take it a step at a time

I'm all ears
Sorry-figured Mike would pop in with it lol, here's his how to-
What?....True TDC is found with a marker, some masking tape, a piston stop, a piece of clothes hanger wire, and enough room to be able to manually turn the engine via the crank bolt.

Errr.......Ahem.:O_o:

Fashion a "pointer" out of the piece of coat hanger wire, bolt it onto something that wont move, and bend it so that it is pointing at a fairly accessible part of the balancer.

* it may be a good idea to remove all the plugs.

#1. Remove #1 plug.
#2. Using "finger on hole" method, bring piston to TDC.
#3. Turn engine backwards from there 1/4 turn by hand.
#4. Screw in piston stop. (this can be something you buy, or something you make. I made one out of an old anti fouling plug extension. Tapped the center of that dude, screwed in a long piece of all thread through the center, put a jamb nut on it, and done. All that junk found at either Autozones "Help" section, or Home depot.
#5. Turn engine forward slowly by hand, until the piston hits that stop.
#6. Now,.......clean off the balancer,...and put a 4" long piece of tape on the balancer in the area that you have your pointer pointing at. Place the tape so that the pointer is pointing in the middle of your tape.
#7. Mark the tape where the pointer is pointing to.
#8. Now spin the engine backwards, away from the stop until it contacts the stop again.
#9. Mark the tape.

Now all you gotta do is measure the distance between the markie-dudes, and divide that in half. Make a mark between the two marks on the tape, Zackly in the middle.

#10. Remove piston stop.
#11. Rotate engine until your pointer is pointing at the center mark. That is true TDC. Make adjustments to your timing marks to accommodate this, and you're good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
@madmike1157 told somebody on here one time how to make a timing pointer/tdc checker. At least I think he did :scratch:
I'm all ears
The "timing pointer" was only a piece of clothes hanger, and only for a temporarily referencing a point on the balancer to find true TDC to be sure that the balancer is properly referenced for that mark, so you can "point" a pointer at it.

If that process is what you need Collin then just let me know, and I'll go on the mad hunt to see who it was that I said it to.
If not,....I can't help you.

My pointer is custom, hand forged from Valerian steel,.specifically for my engine.

For lesser mortals,....You could just make one out of 16 ga mild steel, shape it into a point, and aim it at the appropriate mark.

Reactions: 1 users
The "timing pointer" was only a piece of clothes hanger, and only for a temporarily referencing a point on the balancer to find true TDC to be sure that the balancer is properly referenced for that mark, so you can "point" a pointer at it.

If that process is what you need Collin then just let me know, and I'll go on the mad hunt to see who it was that I said it to.
If not,....I can't help you.

My pointer is custom, hand forged from Valerian steel,.specifically for my engine.

For lesser mortals,....You could just make one out of 16 ga mild steel, shape it into a point, and aim it at the appropriate mark.
I may just rob it off the truck. There's a free one in my driveway!

Dragons breathe fire not Gila monsters. There's no way you have valeryean steel. Often imitated never duplicated.

What are you talking about? I have the only Gila Monster that breathes fire in the entirety of the 7 Kingdoms....Scratch that,.....On the whole planet!. If you don't believe me, just touch that piece of steel under the G monsters rear bumper after he's run for 10 minutes....You'll see.

Fire!

What are you talking about? I have the only Gila Monster that breathes fire in the entirety of the 7 Kingdoms....Scratch that,.....On the whole planet!. If you don't believe me, just touch that piece of steel under the G monsters rear bumper after he's run for 10 minutes....You'll see.

Fire!
Fire out the tailpipe is just a result of too many of those doritos locos everyone around here loves so much.

That's not so bad, I once had what seemed like the entire pan capacity shoot out the oil filter cause the oring on the one I just took off stayed stuck to the block. Was a mile down the road when smoke started pouring out the engine bay and pressure dropped to zero.

Been there before. I never made it out of the driveway though. dumped all 5 quarts out of the angled driveway. Literally 2 mins later it started pouring. Cars were slip sliding up and down the street. I closed the hood and layed low for a while.

I always check that o ring now

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users