The new MGW short throw, PRO 5.0, or Steeda Tri-ax?

• Sponsors (?)

I got the MGW shifter from MGW for $182 shipped. Just got it a couple days ago and I must say that I am not disappointed AT ALL. The quality is awesome, and it comes with extensive directions including pictures (not completely necessary, but it shows they care I guess). I haven't gotten to drive the car because it is not driveable right now while it waits for a new pinion bearing and 3.73's :nice:. I have sort of play-shifted while sitting in the garage and the blue handle does not seem to be too short, I actually love it, the new springs they use really seem to help the 2-3 shift. It has a very smooth, short throw. My final opinion will be delayed until a week or so when the car is driveable.

My friend has a tri-ax on his T-45 and it seems a bit slopier than my Pro-5.0 on my T-3550. not as sure shifting it seems to me.

I've had a Pro-5.0 twice now, really love the feel.

baglock1 said:
And what makes you say that? Because it looks different? How about some tech to back that up.

I assure you, there is no tech to back up any of my opinions, I simply like the blue handle :p

meh run a search for MGW and you'll find some good tech stuff for it.. I assumed since this was the 257825824859th topic for it, everyone already knew how sexy they were? :)

AFAIK, the MGW is designed to address two problems that other aftermarket shifters do nothing to solve:

1. The position of the ball. I think Pro 5.0 is the worst, but the Tri-Ax is not a whole lot better -- the shifts are short, but the handle is almost straight up and it can be a bit of a reach. This does not bother me a bunch on my 95, but on my Cobra, I have to pull my back off the seat to get the shifter into 3rd, 5th, and reverse. Might be that the shifter base on the T-56 is farther forward than the T-5.

2. Noise. I do not know specifically what MGW has done, but they claim that the shifter is silent. Something that Pro 5.0's and Tri-Ax's are definitely *not* :).

Since I got my Tri-Ax for my Cobra before the MGW was available, I got myself a Roush shift handle to address shifter position. Longer throw, but it brings the ball *way* back, and I can comfortably shift without having to lean forward, or extend my arm to full reach. Just a thought for some of you other "short armed" people :).

Dave

for $115 you can cut one for yourself out of a piece of aluminum or stainless steel and weld a stud to the top for a shifter knob. I cant see spending $115 on just a handle no matter how nice it feels.