The Official Project Vanilla Ice Thread...

Well, most of the engine is assembled.
Plan is to finish the assy tomorrow, pull the old motor tuesday. Set the new motor in wednesday afternoon and button it up thursday. I wont start it until saturday though. My new MAF wont be here until friday sometime.

Finished prep on the block
View attachment 271776

Short block is done
View attachment 271777
View attachment 271778
View attachment 271779

and here is the long block minus the pan and timing cover
View attachment 271780
View attachment 271781

• Sponsors (?)

Your really not going to paint that thing? I quick coat of paint will at least make it look good. Yea paint don't make you go faster but a nice painted and pretty engine is always a nice touch of quality work. What cam you running? I have the same set up as you.

Your really not going to paint that thing? I quick coat of paint will at least make it look good. Yea paint don't make you go faster but a nice painted and pretty engine is always a nice touch of quality work. What cam you running? I have the same set up as you.

no, im seriously not going to paint it. There is no reason. Its only going to be in the car for a year to 18 months.
Its just an FRPP E cam.

Does that mean you aren't going to paint the car, either? It don't make it go faster. Put a nice taxi-cab mat in, carpet out, too, save weight. Back seat, hell,even the passenger seat, don't need those:rolleyes:. It ain't a military vehicle, paint just makes it look finished, i guess. I was never sure what color the motors were supposed to be:shrug:, til I took my first one out, in the 90's somewhere- you really can't even see any of the motor in a fox, and just barely from underneath!

Charcole gray or a faded black.... or is that just oil/dirt?
if you are talking about the engine bay, probably dirt. i've only had the car a month. Its just barely stopped snowing so i can drive it.

Laziness at it's best. Now people will make fun of you because your slow and you have a pink motor lol.
they can make fun it all they want. You guys have blown this unpainted engine out of proportion and i will explain why in a minute...

Yikes, that motor looks like hell, but should run decent! I would have painted it though.

Does that mean you aren't going to paint the car, either? It don't make it go faster. Put a nice taxi-cab mat in, carpet out, too, save weight. Back seat, hell,even the passenger seat, don't need those:rolleyes:. It ain't a military vehicle, paint just makes it look finished, i guess. I was never sure what color the motors were supposed to be:shrug:, til I took my first one out, in the 90's somewhere- you really can't even see any of the motor in a fox, and just barely from underneath!
The back seat is coming out, the cage in the car makes the back seat inaccessible anyways. Stock motor wasnt painted, and the block isnt visible. This is a daily driver, not a show car. The hood isnt going to get popped to show people, and it wont get raced
This motor is a temporary deal. I am going to san diego for about 7 months, and wanted a fresh motor in the car, so i have nothing to worry about. I am time constrained due the fact i am leaving. this motor has to be in the car and running this weekend. I need a week to get the miles on it for the break in, before i hit the road.

So those of you bitching it looks like hell, thats fine. I bet the paint isnt going to make it run better. And, if someone pops the hood and says "that looks like ****, you should have painted it" I'll just reply, oh well. You didnt build it, i dont care your opinion.

Here are some pics of the stock motor, which is also unpainted.
View attachment 271441
View attachment 271442

damn paint that block man

It's not so much to impress people or make it go faster. The whole point is to show that actually care and do good work. The fact you take the time to put something together but don't atleast clean it or show some sort of effort makes everyone think the cars a hunk of junk. Do what you will but people who can't find patience to do something of that sort just means there flat out lazy.

Paint protects the metal from rusting. Seems like the best excuse to do it :shrug:

I get what you and your dad are saying and have heard the local rednecks say the same thing at the outlaw track here. Dosent meen the majority will agree that an unpainted motor is okey dokey.
So this new bad ass motor thats going in in a year or so, will it be rust colored too?

Paint protects the metal from rusting. Seems like the best excuse to do it :shrug:

I get what you and your dad are saying and have heard the local rednecks say the same thing at the outlaw track here. Dosent meen the majority will agree that an unpainted motor is okey dokey.
So this new bad ass motor thats going in in a year or so, will it be rust colored too?

doubtful.

as that motor will have a lot more time put in to it than this.

the funny part of this is, to me anyways, the only point anyone can find to paint the motor is that "people will THINK you are lazy, or people with think its junk" As if i am supposed to care what some random person thinks about my car, or my mechanic skills.

The cast iron is not going to rust through, it just wont happen. And if the paint was that ****ing important, it would have been that way, factory stock.

Well, motor is in. I'll have pics tomorrow. Decent round of mods.
All mods listed were done this week
New motor with .010" under crank, stock rods and .030" hyper pistons.
GT-40 heads
Explorer intake
E-cam
C&L 73MM Maf cal'd for 24lb injectors
24lb injectors
255lph pump
EGR delete

i'll post pics friday, i have to take a 12 hour drive tomorrow to get my son. And i cant start the car till saturday as my MAF wont show up till friday some time.

LOL.. it's not so much about proving anything to anyone. It's to show your capable of making something worth a damn, not just able to make something that looks like it belongs in a junkyard.

I would think someone posting a progress thread with pictures, cares what others thinks, or he would not be doing so...

But then again, my block was painted. :D

Just messing with you some!
i posted those pics, because i am starting a thread where i started with my car. it is eventually going to progress beyond this motor. its getting a rear seat delete, new top and sn95 front seats. as the next round i think.

LOL.. it's not so much about proving anything to anyone. It's to show your capable of making something worth a damn, not just able to make something that looks like it belongs in a junkyard.
time slips, or reliability(depending the build style) are what proves that, not the ****ing color of the engine

Dude if the guy wants a pink block thats his decision and lay of the guy. Hes paying for it and doing the work not you guys.
thanks

here it is ready for the engine hoist

View attachment 271160

and here are the installed pics... can anyone point out the color of the engine?
View attachment 271161
View attachment 271162
View attachment 271163