The real # is 500 HP !

• Sponsors (?)

351CJ said:

Reading that is seems that Ford has gone to use 5w-50 instead of 5w-20. I know that the recommend oil in the 03-04 Cobra's is 5w-20. I wonder why they are not using it. Since that is all they want people to use in the mod motors. I realize that the engine is supercharged, so there is more heat and stress on the engine. So it many need a higher vis. oil. They still recommended 5w-20 for the 03-04 Cobra engine. I think that 5w-50 is recommeded on the Ford GT.

MRaburn said:
Roger that! ;)

Final certification testing of the Shelby GT500’s 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 shows it will produce 500 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque – 25 more horsepower than preliminary estimates.

1st the good news: "The Ford Shelby GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 is a result of Ford's experience in developing the modular V-8 and V-10 engine series. The engine is force-fed air via a "Roots-type" supercharger providing 9 pounds per square inch of boost. It borrows the four-valve cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings, from the Ford GT engine.

The 500 hp rating was obtained using the Society of Automotive Engineer's latest standard and was witnessed by an objective third party. "

awesome stuff !! :banana:

Wish I could get my hands on one... but alas I think the common folk are not going to see the light.

now the bad news: "Pricing will be announced closer to launch"

yeah! r i g h t . . . :rolleyes:

It doesn't say the internals aren't forged. It's just not the same pistons and rods as the GT. I don't see Ford putting out a 500hp motor without forged internals. Can you say "warranty nightmare"?

Configuration
Iron Block and Aluminum Heads

Intake manifold
Cast-aluminum with Roots-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler

Exhaust manifold
Cast iron

Crankshaft
Forged steel

Throttle Body
Dual 60 mm, electronic

Valvetrain
DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder