The Thrill Is Gone!!!!

Morgstang

Aug 9, 2003
Just bought a Kawasaki ZRX 1200R motorcycle. The power and handling is so much better than my Mustang i feel ive lost enthusiasm for 4 wheels now. Is there any help for me? This is a sad day for my Pony.

• Sponsors (?)

Bikes have a lot going for them, power, handling, cheap to buy, especially to a comparative car, and usually cheaper to run than any car.

The guy I used to live with (just bought his own house with his gf) owns a 2001 R1 and an 89 CBR 250, uses the 250 for work, he's a courier, and runs the R1 on the weekends. His girl has a little cheap car, but it's all they need. He gets awesome performance and handling, gets paid to ride, they save money on fuel, and have a car for when it is needed. It's a sweet setup, I respect bikes.

They have downsides, like the "strapping yourself to a scud" factor, and you can't carry much, and get wet when it rains.

Also, I have a passion for cars and bikes. I'd like to have both. Have a thumping V8, because there's really nothing like blasting one and a half tonnes of steel around with a boistrous motor, and a bike for more performance than the car, but a different experience altogether. The world turns from a video game to a much more real experience when you're not boxed in.

I'd love a buell firebolt (I think that's the one I want), reviewers have said handling is on par with an R1, riding position is less all out racing, and it has nice torque. I also love the riim-mounted front brake rotor, give massive braking potential while allowing unsprung weight saving by thinning the spokes. There's that and the frame is the fuel tank, etc, all these nifty things that make it technologically advanced, with a slightly sporty cruising motor. A real riding bike is what I think it is. The guy with the R1 sneers, as if it doesn't go 400mph it mustn't be as fun or as good in the real world, and off the race track. Of course I'm a guy who doesn't want to blast past people on the highway at 200, I'd rather take the winding coastal roads at a more legal pace. Any fool can press a go button, whether it be in a car or on a bike.

Anyway, that's a good 20 cents there, I tend to ramble sometimes. :)

new22003 said:
It will wear off. You will still enjoy your bike but will miss a car. Having a bike is the greatest thing in the world for the first 6 months.

Alot of them just crash and burn after that six months :rlaugh:
I haven't injured myself before but it will happen one day...and I hate wearing a helmut in the summer time...

narongc73 said:
Alot of them just crash and burn after that six months :rlaugh:
I haven't injured myself before but it will happen one day...and I hate wearing a helmut in the summer time...

That is true, everyone that I know that has been in the bike scene for any amount of time has laid down a bike.

I worked a wreck the other night where a guy on a 2004 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide had a kid turn in front of him in an 03 Neon. The actual impact speed of the bike was only around 25 MPH with the original speed at 35 MPH. The car was probably only going around 15 making the turn. The guy from the bike was thrown and had a dislocated shoulder, broken lower leg, and a puncture wound on his side. Other than that, he was ok but in alot of pain.

Two years ago, my best friend, a GOOD rider, had some type of simple malfunction on a bike that caused it to veer of the side of the road............. into a 2'x2' brick mailbox column. He suffered severe head and body trauma and died.

The simple point here is that while they are fun, they can be very dangerous. I know you have heard it all but it all remains true non the less. It is usually not you that you have to worry about, it's someone else that doesn't see you or doesn't care about you because you don't pose a "threat".

If you want a reason to hop back in your Stang, then consider this. Both of the above people would have been alive or not hurt had they been in a car. More so than anything, when you're on the bike, just be safe and consider everything you see as a problem and think of how to "solve" the problem. Look at every close encounter and think how you would have "dodged" the bad part of it had it gotten worse. Last but not least, NEVER feel like you own the bike and ALWAYS respect it. That's ALOT of power between your legs and far more than most THINK we have there!! :D

Ride safe man and enjoy the bike because they are lots of fun!

Good point tunez. Ive been riding bikes since i was 14 and im 43 now. I used to drag race bikes when i was about 25. Didnt wanna sound like this was my first bike. I know its usually the OTHER person to look out for. The thing ive found through the years is i actually think riding a bike makes you a BETTER driver even in a car because your senses have to be at a higher level. Thanks for the info though, im sure the car will be back on the list soon.