think I'm gonna go hit the track for the first time on Friday...any tips

• Sponsors (?)

795.0pacecar said:
I agree to a point. The "wow that was awesome" feeling normaly only lasts to the little hut where you pick up your time slip. Then you realize that when your run felt like it had to have been in the mid 14s, it was realy a 15.8. Thats what my first run was like the first time I took my car to the track about 3 years ago. I was pissed after that lol.
I felt the same at the 1/8 mile when I was hoping for at least a high 9 and got a 10.03. I was pissed. Oh well, with my 3.55s and some better traction (working t-lok) I should get some easy low 9s or high 8s I hope.

Watch the lights when other people go so you get a feel for the timing and sequence.....

Don't Get Discouraged.
My first time out i expected to run a low to mid 14.......I ran a 15.3
Launching at the track is very differnt from the street.
A little practice and i have got it down to 14.41 @ 98.2
not fast by any means, but for a more or less stock 5.0 is pretty respectable.

Drive around the water box, spin them quick to get the crap off them. You will learn to creep up to the line to get set up as far back as possible......you'll know what i mean once you start doing it a few times.
I use the clutch on every shift........but as fast as i can to slip the next gear!

Have fun man.....be safe!

Roland69 said:
I was playing with my shifting points tonight. I think if feels like 4800 is where I want to shift. After that it seems like I get some detonation or valve chatter. I am going to set the timing and see maby it has been bumped and I have never ran more than 87 lol.

You want to shift INTO PEAK HP. Meaning once your rpm drop down, you are at peak HP or just below. But, I'm guessing that you don't have a dyno sheet telling you where your peak hp and torque is huh, for future reference I guess. Have fun and if your tires start spinning let off the gas before you wreck your car. Don't get your hopes up either at first. My first run with this this car I ran I think 13.3 at like 111. Yes, those time don't match up, that's because I didn't know how to drive the car on the track. Then you'll get familiar with the car and start braking those time down. It will be a blast. Better than sex the first run.

795.0pacecar said:
I agree to a point. The "wow that was awesome" feeling normaly only lasts to the little hut where you pick up your time slip. Then you realize that when your run felt like it had to have been in the mid 14s, it was realy a 15.8. Thats what my first run was like the first time I took my car to the track about 3 years ago. I was pissed after that lol.

lol imagine how i felt, my very first run ever i saw a 16.9 O_O
i was still excited though. I thought i just had a bad run and could improve. sadly i was wrong haha i only got to like a 16.7

:mad: Well didn't get to go (me or the Boss) we got held up at work till 7:30 and it's about a 2 hour drive to get there. We wanted to leave around 3-4 PM but that didn't happen. atleast we got into looking at his Impala (it's a 78 BTW with 650 hp and 800 with the spray I'll get pics soon I promise this thing is awsome for a 4 door stock looking old mans Impala minus the cowl ind and M/T drags) we are trying to figure out how we are going to mount the alt after we install the electric water pump....and we got to work on setting up his Nitrous station so he can fill N2o tanks at his shop (my work). We took a 50 pound bottle and mounted it upside down in the loft and are drilling a 6-8 inch hole in the floor of the loft so the neck and valve of the big bottle comes through overhead with a didgital scale for the smaller bottles on a bench down on the shop floor right under neath the loft..:nice: he has 3 spare 10 pound bottles hummmm maby I will have a small shot soon. The cost for him to fill a 10 pound bottle is $50 cdn or 250 for the 50 lb bottle.

I will let you guys know when I know for sure next time we will be going to the track.