Those that replaced convertible top

BCB00GT

Founding Member
Mar 5, 2002
1. Has anyone did the job themselves. If yes, how was the job?

2. Those that had a shop do the work, what was the install price?

3. How long did your top last? Mine is 5 years, the outside is great, but it leaks in the rear corner in the inside where the vinyl trunk (rear seat) cover attaches. I drop the top atleast 200-250 times a year, thus over 1200 cycles (Just terrible to be able to use the vert all year).

Thanks
B.

• Sponsors (?)

BCB00GT said:
1. Has anyone did the job themselves. If yes, how was the job?

2. Those that had a shop do the work, what was the install price?

3. How long did your top last? Mine is 5 years, the outside is great, but it leaks in the rear corner in the inside where the vinyl trunk (rear seat) cover attaches. I drop the top atleast 200-250 times a year, thus over 1200 cycles (Just terrible to be able to use the vert all year).

Thanks
B.

I've paid $400 (1994) just for a new top install using the old back glass. This was on an 89 and from what I've heard this isn't a DIY job.

i had mine done last month. i sat and watched the guy do it( i took it to an upholstery shop) and it took him 2 hours. It's not something you want to try and tackle if you haven't seen it done and been instructed. I still wouldn't doo it myself and i doo everything on my car myself. expect around 400$ without the back glass for the top. Ask first though, the shop might be able to fix the leak without changing the top. The shop I went to were doing that when mine was getting done.

I will be attempting mine I went ahead bought instructions from a guy off ebay and I must say... GOOD INSTRUCTIONS. If it takes me 8 hours so be it... I save at least 200 or so bucks... Ill be reusing my rear window! I know a while back a guy posted on here and watch out for the cables apparently there was two different sizes used and if u use the wrong ones or something you will need another top but you can reuse the cables... But things you need is a staple gun... rivet gun and some basic tools... Hope I helped!

I had the top of my '00 GT 'Vert replaced about a year after I bought it.
It seems that the top was catching on something from the back 1/4 windows when it was being raised, and was tearing that area of the top apart.
It was under warranty, so I did not have to pay for it, so i took it to a pro shop to get it installed. :nice: