Throttle Body Spacer

Hey just wondering from people that have actually had these if they actually work. I understand the concept and how they would work but I guess my question is it really gonna give me 10-18 horsepower gains and how does it affect gas mileage.. Im looking for a cheap upgrade for now, i dont have a lot of extra money to play with right now so I figured this would be fun. Thanks for your help !!

• Sponsors (?)

Throttle body spacers have caused nothing but problems on the S197 cars that I have read about. I have not read about anyone that was happy with theirs and I have not seen anyone with proof of power gains either. A set of 4.10s or a custom tune would be your best relatively cheap options.

its probably useless, but hot dog does it sound COOL!!!!!

I have an airaid spacer and with the C&L racer intake the "whistling" noise is loud and cool, not annoying at all.

I personally haven't had any problems with mine.
If you can get one cheap, go for it. think about it this way, why do people get stripes on their cars? Useless right? But some people think they look cool.

its probably useless, but hot dog does it sound COOL!!!!!

I have an airaid spacer and with the C&L racer intake the "whistling" noise is loud and cool, not annoying at all.

I personally haven't had any problems with mine.
If you can get one cheap, go for it. think about it this way, why do people get stripes on their cars? Useless right? But some people think they look cool.

my stripes were quoted by the manufacturer as adding an instant 50 hp, you think he was lying ? :D

Yeah thats what I figured. But everywhere claims to give 1+ horsepower, so I figured Id ask and see if it was true. I figured this would be the case. I know what I am doing in the future, just dont have the money for all the fun parts. I have Magnaflow Magnapack Cat-back exhaust 2.5''. JLT CAI color matched, SCT X3 Tuner with a custom tune. So some of the following when I can afford it will be next:
-FRPP lowering springs
-FRPP 4.10's (I only trust ford with gearing, lol)
-JBA Longtube headers
-MGW short-throw shifter
-and some sort of underdrive pulley, most likely BBK

So do you all have any suggestions that can cure my craving for a mod. something decently affordable.

And thats not all Im doing to my car just next step ;)

Thanks again for saving me that 60 bucks haha

Yeah thats what I figured. But everywhere claims to give 1+ horsepower, so I figured Id ask and see if it was true. I figured this would be the case. I know what I am doing in the future, just dont have the money for all the fun parts. I have Magnaflow Magnapack Cat-back exhaust 2.5''. JLT CAI color matched, SCT X3 Tuner with a custom tune. So some of the following when I can afford it will be next:
-FRPP lowering springs
-FRPP 4.10's (I only trust ford with gearing, lol)
-JBA Longtube headers
-MGW short-throw shifter
-and some sort of underdrive pulley, most likely BBK

So do you all have any suggestions that can cure my craving for a mod. something decently affordable.

And thats not all Im doing to my car just next step ;)

Thanks again for saving me that 60 bucks haha

you've gone far enough now to start thinking about which way you want to continue. Do you drag race ? Road coarse on track days ? Planning on doing a lot of showing your car ? Or strictly a street car ? Maybe even a combo of all the above ? That will more influence where you want to go from here, that and your budget. Sounds like you have turned your car into a pretty sweet ride.

What works really good at the strip is not so hot on a road course. You can set it up so it's pretty good at everything, but it won't excel at any one of them.

Yeah kind of a mix. I mean I'm not going to make it strictly a drag car at the strip but occassionally at the car meets we end up running but its not one or the other. Like 30 role stuff like that. I want it to handle like if I did take it to the track but I want it just to be a nice good looking car with horsepower to back it up and style. It is my everyday driver so I can't make it into a drag car or anything too serious like that. So I guess combo. Haha

Yeah kind of a mix. I mean I'm not going to make it strictly a drag car at the strip but occassionally at the car meets we end up running but its not one or the other. Like 30 role stuff like that. I want it to handle like if I did take it to the track but I want it just to be a nice good looking car with horsepower to back it up and style. It is my everyday driver so I can't make it into a drag car or anything too serious like that. So I guess combo. Haha

so you're like most of us. You want a nice fast car that will do OK at a drag strip, at a road course yet still be streetable. That's how most people here do theirs. Slightly lowered suspension for handling, some engine mods for some increased power, etc.

Most people here list their mods in their signature, check out some of those, read and see how they use their cars. That should at least get you going down the right path for how you envision your build.

For my car I will do; a tune, maybe a CAI, shorty headers, 1"-1 1/2" lowering springs, adj track bar, lower control arms, probably LCA relocation brackets, A frame brace, K member brace w/torque limiters, 3.73 gears, upgraded Hawk pads, MGW shifter, just basic bolt ons. I don't drive my car every day even though I always want to.