Thumbs down on trick flow products. *rant*

ShortThrow50

Oct 22, 2006
Pa
Figures I get the top end kit and the dowel pins for the cam were not included but instructions with cam say they are. I took the cam to the local performance shop and got that taken care of. I put the cam in and next it was time to do the rolloer rockers after the head install. when I was rotating the crank to do the next set of rockers i hear a sound. Well, well, well. what do you know. one of the keepers popped off the vale spring retainer. I cant find it. must have shot across the garage somewhere.Great now I gotta wait till summit sends me a new set of keepers. ALso i need to buy a new head gasket since i removed the head. I was planning on having fun and drinking beer gettin my engine setup. Thanks alot for a quality product trick flow. Its a good thing this didnt happen after i put the engine in the car and fired it up huh. Not one screw up but 2. What if this was a daily driver. Good thing my stang is a garage queen.

• Sponsors (?)

Figures I get the top end kit and the dowel pins for the cam were not included but instructions with cam say they are. I took the cam to the local performance shop and got that taken care of. I put the cam in and next it was time to do the rolloer rockers after the head install. when I was rotating the crank to do the next set of rockers i hear a sound. Well, well, well. what do you know. one of the keepers popped off the vale spring retainer. I cant find it. must have shot across the garage somewhere.Great now I gotta wait till summit sends me a new set of keepers. ALso i need to buy a new head gasket since i removed the head. I was planning on having fun and drinking beer gettin my engine setup. Thanks alot for a quality product trick flow. Its a good thing this didnt happen after i put the engine in the car and fired it up huh. Not one screw up but 2. What if this was a daily driver. Good thing my stang is a garage queen.
That sucks man. I used TFS gear for all my valvetrain stuff and I had no issues... the even included 2 extra keepers in my pack. Hopefully it all works out in the end, best of luck!

my biggest concern is why the lock/keeper jumped out out. The vailve stem indent looked fine. Do you think it just wasnt in there all the way and i dint notice? has to be the reason, right?

my biggest concern is why the lock/keeper jumped out out. The vailve stem indent looked fine. Do you think it just wasnt in there all the way and i dint notice? has to be the reason, right?
Yeah, it's possible... I know I had to take a punch and really tap some of them down, but once they were in they seemed solid. I guess we'll see as I put more miles on the engine, lol.

oh please explain dude. Im all about perfection. Please tell me more. Im lost

They make attachments that screw into your spark plug hole. You hook an air compressor up to the fitting and pump some air into the cylinder. The air holds the valves in place and you can get the job done without the valves on that cylinder dropping. However, yes, obviously make sure it's BDC on the compression stroke so that both valves are closed and the air doesn't get out:nice:

Does that make more sense?

Kinda a moot point now since you've already pulled the head, but next time, you'll know...

They make attachments that screw into your spark plug hole. You hook an air compressor up to the fitting and pump some air into the cylinder. The air holds the valves in place and you can get the job done without the valves on that cylinder dropping. However, yes, obviously make sure it's BDC on the compression stroke so that both valves are closed and the air doesn't get out:nice:

Kinda a moot point now since you've already pulled the head, but next time, you'll know...

oh. i see. Yeah i have the engine out and head off. This is good to know if i ever had to do this with head still on. thanks

I think you mean TDC, that way if the cylinder loses pressure the valves will only fall far enough to hit the piston, not all the way in.

I think you mean TDC, that way if the cylinder loses pressure the valves will only fall far enough to hit the piston, not all the way in.

well not at all actually. If your doing spring work your rockers are off.

you need BDC since the air pressure will turn your motor over. If you drop a valve in the cyl, that is a major error. If you are smart about it it cuts the job down in half and saves you from retorquing the head bolts and about 40 bucks worth of head gaskets.