thumper heads on a 347?

gt40_2003wes

I did sound a wee bit gay there.
Aug 14, 2005
ky
anyone happen to be running a 347 with thumper heads? probably gettin a 347 here very soon from dss. im sure it would put down alot of torque and i kno to get full potential i need aluminum heads but just wondering if anyone is or has done this.

• Sponsors (?)

It'll work what but you wont get near the potential of the motor. To make lots of power NA you usually need to rev it higher and with those heads you wont have the flow. Im using some thumpers on my 347 but im not going to rev it over 6500 and i'll have about 7psi from my turbo. havent run my combo yet

AFR 205's or TFS tarck heat cnc'd 205's and a TFS R box intake port matched is the way to go on a stout 347. add in a comp cam XE22Hr or custom and hit an easy 400/400 to the tire on 10.5:1CR. u need a haed that flows 300cfm.

with the extra CID size of the engine you can greatly benefit from a larger cylinder head. a 185 head is a good match.

thumpers are great heads and all, i ran some and loved them but they are more at home on a 302 than anything larger.

i know i need aluminums but until the time when i come up with the money to get some trick flows or afr's i need to make do with my thumpers. what kinda power will i be looking at with the thumpers on it?

Hey guys, not to highjack this thread... but just kinda have a question that is related... I am in the process of picking a 347 kit... wanted to order on friday cause my machine shop needs the kit.. the block is ready to go.. but they want the kit on hand before the bore.. etc. Was kinda thinking of getting tfs heads.. but not sure if they are the way to go.. gt40_2003wes what pistons are on your 347 stroker? Do you know what kit it is?

This is what I'm looking at:

-Scat Series 9000 Crankshaft, 3.40" Stroke
-Scat 4340 5.325 I-beam Connecting Rods, w/ ARP hardware
-KB Forged Flat Top Pistons, Forged 2618, Inline valve relief, Floating pin w/ spirlox, wrist pins
-Clevite Rod and Main Bearings
-File Fit Moly Ring

Compression with a 58cc head is advertised at 11.5:1, 10.9 w/ 64cc head

So this is kinda what I want, dished pistons are available for 25 extra.. anyone know what cylinder head would be good with this kit? dished or flat top... since I am buying heads and a kit together I have some freedom... I wanted to order the kit yesterday.. but the guy I talked to at ADPerformance was very unhelpful.

I def. agree with doing it right.. but I do want to get the right parts to him so he can finish the larger parts of the build.. I have no problem with the intakes injectors, fuel rails etc. My plan for heads are TFS Twisted Wedge... R series intake.. 24lb injectors, new fuel rails... and fuel pressure regulator... I am going to get a tweecer rt... and want to have the computer tuned with the tweecer before I even start it up for the first time... eg. tuned for the injectors... and mass air meter size, etc. anyways... I am getting a custom cam grind.. so really my initial priority is

bottom end build (347 stroker) with new aluminum flywheel and balancer
tfs twisted wedge heads
custom cam
new pushrods and lifters

Above is what I am having the machine shop do... after that its all on me which will be great!! Have my engine stand ready to go! So I will have fun with building the rest!! The odds and ends!

pushrods should be one of the last things you buy, and with TW heads pushrod length is critical so dont leave it to your machinist to wanker it up... do the research, measure them yourself and buy the right pushrods

I def. agree with doing it right.. but I do want to get the right parts to him so he can finish the larger parts of the build.. I have no problem with the intakes injectors, fuel rails etc. My plan for heads are TFS Twisted Wedge... R series intake.. 24lb injectors, new fuel rails... and fuel pressure regulator... I am going to get a tweecer rt... and want to have the computer tuned with the tweecer before I even start it up for the first time... eg. tuned for the injectors... and mass air meter size, etc. anyways... I am getting a custom cam grind.. so really my initial priority is

bottom end build (347 stroker) with new aluminum flywheel and balancer
tfs twisted wedge heads
custom cam
new pushrods and lifters

Above is what I am having the machine shop do... after that its all on me which will be great!! Have my engine stand ready to go! So I will have fun with building the rest!! The odds and ends!