time for new tires '11 CS

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
I've got 24K miles on my stock pirelli p zero's and need to get them switched out asap. Looking for daily driver tires, no track or anything like that...96 mile commute to and from work each day..

Option 1
ScreenShot-2.png

These have a 280 tread wear rating, very nice design, and very affordable pricing BUT I've never heard of Maxxis tires for a car. I do have Maxxis tires on my ATV though..thoughts?

Option 2 is
ScreenShot-1.png

well known name, 280 TW, good reviews, great price after rebate. Thoughts?

Option 3
ScreenShot.png

500 TW rating! Will the grip on these totally suck? That's my concern with these..

How many miles can one expect from a 280 TW tire???

• Sponsors (?)

I would take a look at the Continental Extreme ContactDW as well, they are more expensive but are supposed to be a great tire. The Hankooks are a good tire for the money as well, but you probably aren't going to get a lot of miles out of them. You got a lot of miles on the Pirellis, so I would guess you would get something like 30-35k miles on the Hankooks. I would avoid the Maxxis tire I think, never heard of anyone using them. The Cooper is going to last a long time, but as you suspected, will probably have pretty low grip.

The stock pirelli's on my car have a TW of 400. I was expecting alot more mileage out of them. I looked at the continental extreme contact dw also, looks like a great tire but a set will run me about $960. That's alot of money for tires! I hate being limited to sizes on this wheel. As for the Maxxis the only reviews I could find on them were reviews from people in Australia and the UK. I'd say about 75% positive reviews on them..I'm leaning towards the hankooks at this point but I'm reading some people have only gotten 15k out of them regular driving while others have gotten 30k so mixed reviews..are they any other tires I might be overlooking?

The stock pirelli's on my car have a TW of 400. I was expecting alot more mileage out of them....
Really? You got about 8k or so more then I got from mine and I have 100 less ponies under the hood then you!!. Seriously though based on my own experience and what I have read here and on other Mustang sites most P-Zero summers only last around 12-16k and the seems to be the case with most ultra-high performance summer tires. Of the three tires you posted I have never heard of Maxxis and know nothing about them. They are so much cheaper then other brands in that size that I would have serious concerns about their quality. I have Hankook V-12s on my car. I am happy with them and notice no difference in performance compared to the stock Pirelli's. Like ct07gt said the Coopers will probably hold up the best but handling and brake performance will suffer.

I thought you had the summer PZero, but if you had a TW rating of 400 then they are probably the PZero Nero All Seasons. I would have thought you would have gotten more mileage out of those tires than that. I don't think you are going get a lot of life out of the Hankook V12s, I had the Nitto Invo with a 220 rating and got 20k miles out of them, some of it was autocross though, and my current Dunlops with a 200 rating will be lucky to make 15k miles. You have to decide what is the biggest priority for you, cost vs grip vs treadlife.

Yeah I've got through p zero Nero 245/45/19. Just looking for a bit bigger size.

Oh sorry then... in that case. What the hell are you doing to that poor car that you are only getting 24 k out of those tires !?! Maniac!!
Just kidding of course. If your main concern is thread life then I would avoid the Hankooks since they will wear faster the the PZeros , and go with the Coopers.

Im running the Hankooks, about 12k on them and they still have about another 12k or 15k to go before
I would want to replace them. They are awesome for the price. I never get more than 25k out of any
summer performance tires........ and Ive tried them all.

If I could get 20K out of a 280TW tire I'd be a happy camper, especially for the price of the hankooks I posted.. anyone have experience with Kuhmo?
ScreenShot-3.png

Oh sorry then... in that case. What the hell are you doing to that poor car that you are only getting 24 k out of those tires !?! Maniac!!
Just kidding of course. If your main concern is thread life then I would avoid the Hankooks since they will wear faster the the PZeros , and go with the Coopers.

What the hell is he not doing to the car by getting over 15k miles....

I looked for Nittos but they don't make anything in 255/40/19. The eagle GT is a great tire just got a set on my f150, unfortunately they only make a 245/45/19 for my car.