Time to change the brakes

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing special needed, remove caliper mounting bolt, tilt up, remove, compress piston, replace new pads. I would suggest regreasing the caliper bolts and contact points on each end of the pad with high temp grease. Don't forget the anti-squeal compound, make sure you let the compound cure for a moment also.

If your replacing the rear brakes, you do need a special tool:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732

You can find them for $19.99 or borrow mine...

Red mustang Gt 46 said:
Nothing special needed, remove caliper mounting bolt, tilt up, remove, compress piston, replace new pads. I would suggest regreasing the caliper bolts and contact points on each end of the pad with high temp grease. Don't forget the anti-squeal compound, make sure you let the compound cure for a moment also.

If your replacing the rear brakes, you do need a special tool:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732

You can find them for $19.99 or borrow mine...

What's the tool for? And how are the rear brakes different from the fronts to require such a tool? Do you need the tool set to just replace the rear pads or ???

Ajax_02GT said:
What's the tool for? And how are the rear brakes different from the fronts to require such a tool? Do you need the tool set to just replace the rear pads or ???

The rear pistons have to be turned clockwise while being pressed inwards...I've seen too many guys ruin their rear pistons and not even know it...by not turning them while compressing them.

Just changed my fronts last night. My rotors were seized and I had to pound those damn things with a hammer until they came loose.

Tip: Turn the steering wheel to point the wheel inwards...easier to access the bolts.

mrvax said:
That's cheating! :mad:
Cheating my ass. My brakes and rotors haven't been changed since I owned the car. I broke _two_ craftsman extensions from putting too much force on the caliper bolt on my passenger side. The thing was seized worse than I've ever seen. Heat + liquid wrench + hammer finally got the damn thing out. Drivers side came out easier than my lugnuts. :D