timing issue? you be the judge...

mruastler

Jan 29, 2012
Hi my name is Michael. I'm new here and am having an issue with a 2003 mustang 3.8L.

The issue is something with he timing. (or that's what I believe atleast.)

First let me let you all know that the car was pretty shaky and had an troubleshooting code of P0302 and an error code for the crank & cam shaft position sensor.

So I replace the coil pack with a scream'n demon coil pack, put new msd 8.5mm spark wires on, put new pulsstar plugs gaped to .044 like ford says did go up even though the coil pack said to. also replaced the cam and crank sensor. (this might be part of the problem the local auto store said to just take off old ones and put new ones on. no need to according to another forum I read on here it needs to be synchronized. and I never did that)

now here is where the issue comes... after all the repairs the the car wont start will rumble and try but wont start. I go back and check that I didn't have any wires crossed 10-12 times check to make sure everything else is right with it and still nothing. for kicks I try crossing the the 4 & 5 wire with each other on the coil pack. Now it start but its ruff... very shaky rumbling but when actually driving it is pretty smooth better then it was before the repairs.

I take the car to the local ford dealership that I bought it at to do a diagnostic. tell them everything you read above. they let me know its 89 bucks for and im cool with that so I can figure out whats up and see if I can resolve the issue my self an 2 hours later they call and say they want another 89 bucks to go further with the testing because they cant kind the issue or why it wont start with the wires in correct firing order. I tell them to stop because I'm pretty sure they are just trying to stick it to me just like any dealership would. so now after wasting 89 bucks I am not sure what do do from here. any ideas would be very helpful. oh yeah one last bit of info I forgot to mention about 2 months ago before any of this was going on other then the car was a little shaky I changed the park plugs because cylinder 2's spark plug got blown out. but the thread on the plug was fine and the new plug went right in and fit in snug like it should have. I don't know if that matters for the issue now but just lettin you know just in case.​

• Sponsors (?)

P0302 is code for miss-fire cylinder #2. And I would bet the cam/crank sensor does indeed have to be synchronized. You may still have a cylinder #2 miss-fire issue. The dealership should have a printout of the codes they retrieved from the ECU at the start of the diagnosis. And just because they could not totally diagnose the engine concern in the first hour, does not mean that they are trying to "rip you off". Sometimes these things are not as easy as we would like to believe. Example: how many things do you think can cause a miss-fire in a cylinder? It is more than a dozen different things that can cause that to happen. And certainly anyone on this forum is only going to be able to "best guess" your particular concern.