Engine No voltage to TPS

3054tony

Nov 9, 2023
Us
Sorry I'm sure it been covered but having a horrible time searching on here.

Car is a 93 GT that has been sitting for a very long time. New battery, starter silinoid, grounds cleaned off, old gas out, new fuel pump, spark plugs, wires, coil, fuel pressure regulator. Car starts right up but horrible idle around 500 RPM, if I give it any gas it will almost die, sputter, backfire but the RPMS will eventually go up. Can have the car holding at 2000 RPMS and as soon as I start letting off the clutch and there is a load it will die. I just checked the TPS but there is 0 volts.

New sensor should be delivered tomorrow but in the meantime if I disconnect it shouldn't the wires going to the sensor have any power?

Car is pretty much stock, exhaust, headers, cold air and underdrive pullies. Eventually I will tear into it a lot more but for now just trying to get it running under its own power so I can move it around and on a trailer to storage for a few months while I'm out of town and house is being built.

• Sponsors (?)

1699986874315.png

With the ignition key in the on position you should see around 5.0 volts on the voltage reference wire (orange). At idle you want around 0.85 volts and at wide open throttle it should be 3.7 volts or higher. You may have to slot the holes on the TPS to get the key on engine off (read throttle body closed) at the 0.85 volts.

Post #1 is a good read and Post #2 is the base idle reset.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
1699986874315.png

With the ignition key in the on position you should see around 5.0 volts on the voltage reference wire (orange). At idle you want around 0.85 volts and at wide open throttle it should be 3.7 volts or higher. You may have to slot the holes on the TPS to get the key on engine off (read throttle body closed) at the 0.85 volts.

Post #1 is a good read and Post #2 is the base idle reset.

Thanks for that diagram, that's what I couldn't find. There is no power at all getting to the sensor itself. Just used a multi meter to check continuity in the wire from pin 5 on the salt and pepper shaker to the sensor and that tested good.

Guessing next step is to pull the connector at the ECU and test for continuity between the shaker and computer.

Would you or anyone know if there is a different diagram for 92-93? The one I keep seeing is 88-91 or are the pins the same?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231114_135735_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231114_135735_Chrome.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 46
I edited that post as I was not 100% sure on the one I have on my external HD. The one I linked I would trust a lot more and yes its PIN 47.
Alright I got continuity between the salt and pepper shaker connector pin 5 to pin 47 on the computer. Guess ill send the computer off to be checked out

Last edited:
Just an update, i sent the computer to ECU Exchange but with the holiday it took a little longer. Fingers crossed it was the issue after reading their report

The tech did finish the repair on your computer.

Your computer will be cleaned and sealed for moisture intrusion before returning.

Your computer had a bad power supply which created distortion on the reference and system voltages. This is due to age and not caused by anything in the vehicle.

There was also some small physical board damage that needed to be repaired.

We replaced the power supply, capacitors and voltage regulators. The computer is now fully functional and running properly.

You can install the computer upon return and start as normal. it did fail on its own due to age.

Reactions: 3 users
Well was not the computer. It looks great, they were great to deal, and fixed other issues but not this one. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 20231205_075909.jpg
    20231205_075909.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 33
Have you verified that you have 5.0 volts from the ECU (Pin 26) to the white ten pin connector (Pin 2)? If you have voltage to there then you need to chase it to the TPS. It also goes to the EGR valve and barometric pressor sensor so check and see if you have voltage there. It sounds like a bad connection or broken wire at this point.

This diagram is for the engine controls for the 91-93 5.0:

Engine Controls Diagram 1991-93 5.0L Large.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Have you verified that you have 5.0 volts from the ECU (Pin 26) to the white ten pin connector (Pin 2)?

I was about to say the same thing.

First thing i'd do is verify your Vref 5V+ and signal ground (pin 46) at the ECU and then trace it out to the TPS. First place i'd check is at the ECU 60-pin connector, and then i'd check at the 10-pin connectors.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you verified that you have 5.0 volts from the ECU (Pin 26) to the white ten pin connector (Pin 2)? If you have voltage to there then you need to chase it to the TPS. It also goes to the EGR valve and barometric pressor sensor so check and see if you have voltage there. It sounds like a bad connection or broken wire at this point.

This diagram is for the engine controls for the 91-93 5.0:

Engine Controls Diagram 1991-93 5.0L Large.gif
I am not getting anything to pin 26 on the connector for the ECU. I am getting 12 volts to pin 10 on the white connector pictured. Haven't tried the Egr volts yet but both TPS and barometric pressure sensors have no power to them.
Does the #2 pin on the 10 pin connector connect to the #26 pin for the ECU? It's cold and rainy out and might have been rushing and might have checked the 26 on the connector while the 10 pin was unplugged.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231205_135700_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231205_135700_Chrome.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I was about to say the same thing.

First thing i'd do is verify your Vref 5V+ and signal ground (pin 46) at the ECU and then trace it out to the TPS. First place i'd check is at the ECU 60-pin connector, and then i'd check at the 10-pin connectors.
The white 10 pin connector has 12 volts to the #2 pin but no power to the TPS. I did do a connectivity test with a multi meter from the TPS to the 10 pin connector and from the 10 pin connector to the 47 pin on the ECU and no breaks found. 60 on the ECU is a ground correct? I am pretty bad with electrical stuff but how do you go about testing grounds on a multi meter? I do have a test light if that could be used instead.

Orange/white wire : pin 26 5 vRef
Black/white: pin 46 sensor ground
Dark gree/light green: pin 47 tps signal to ECU

Pin 26 to pin 46 is what you want to test for 5v. Test it at the ECU and then at the 10pin.

You’ll also want to check continuity of pin 26 and 46 from the 60 pin connector to the tps sensor plug as well with the ECU and tps sensor removed.

• Useful

Pin 26 to pin 46 is what you want to test for 5v. Test it at the ECU and then at the 10pin.

You’ll also want to check continuity of pin 26 and 46 from the 60 pin connector to the tps sensor plug as well with the ECU and tps sensor removed.
Thanks will test them out tomorrow when I have some more light.

KOEO pin 26 to 46 has no volts

Attachments

• 20231206_102044.jpg
    20231206_102044.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 33
Weell you need to have the ECU plugged in, have the key to ON and back probe the 60-pin connector.

You can test continuity with the ecu disconnected but you'll need it plugged in and key on for voltage.

• Useful
Weell you need to have the ECU plugged in, have the key to ON and back probe the 60-pin connector.

You can test continuity with the ecu disconnected but you'll need it plugged in and key on for voltage.
Gotcha ok sorry I didn't know that. Was thinking it should be sending power to the 26 pin with just the key on. I'm horrible with electric .

So ECU plugged in, power should be going to the ECU then ECU should be sending 5 volts to pin 26? Also while plugged in pin 47 should have 5 volts to the TPS?

Reactions: 1 user