04 Mach 1 stalling help

70/04mach1

Mar 19, 2024
Missouri
I recently bought an 04 Mach 1. Ran fine for several days. All of a sudden power seemed down. Rough idle and will die sometimes. Can only give it half throttle maybe and can’t get to highway speed. It’s a 5 speed. Under full throttle car will die. It is throwing a service engine soon light but haven’t got to check it yet. New fuel pump and filter. New tps sensor. Cleaned the maf and Iva. Anyone have this issue before?

• Sponsors (?)

This is what I got from the code reader

P2198 O2 sensor signal stuck rich bank 2 senso1

P0175 fuel system to rich cylinder bank 2
P0316 misfire in first 1000 revolutions
P0300 random misfire detected
P0301 random misfire cylinder 1
P0305 fault cylinder E misfire
P2196 (HO2S11) not switching correctly

It’s says most likely solution is MAF sensor

P0305 is cylinder 5 misfire.

I'd troubleshoot the cylinder 1 and 5 misfire first. How many miles are on the car? When were the plugs replaced? I'd pull the plugs to inspect. I sometimes swap coil packs around and reset the codes and go for a drive and see if the misfires follow the packs. That will narrow down if this is a spark, coil pack or point to a fuel issue (injectors). Wouldn't hurt to get a fuel pressure reading as well with engine running.

The rich codes may be a result of the unburned fuel from the misfire.

I wouldn't suspect MAF yet, however P2196 and P2198 might suggest that oxygen sensor is stuck rich and might need to be replaced.

It's kinda a chicken and egg situation here. Do you have rich codes because of the misfire? Or do you have misfires because something is causing your car to run VERY rich.

Reactions: 1 user
Changed plugs and coils. Still the same problem. Not popping any codes back up. With key on there is not much fuel from a schrader valve, just kinda leaks out. New fuel pump and filter also. Unhooked fuel line from filter and turned key on. Shot fuel all the way to the tire.

When you pulled the plugs, what did they look like?
And what coil pack did you use? These cars have problems/finicky with aftermarket, and only OEM coil packs should be used.

Was the car sitting for some time before you bought it? Could have plugged/gummed up fuel lines since its fine at the filter, but barely anything at the rail.