Tiny leak at front of drivers side head?? Help....

jd-hart

Jun 29, 2005
Greensboro, NC
I noticed that the front of my drivers side head is a little "wet" on the head gasket that you can see. It is wet along the front of the head and down to the tab from the head gasket that sticks out. I can't tell what the fluid is, but I assume it is coolant?

It is not wet around the lower head studs, just along the front of the head.

I can't seem to see anything "leak" when the car is running, but it appears there after I take it out for a spin.

There is nothing accumulating on the floor, but it has me worried.

Anybody have any ideas? Would a re-torque of the head studs stop it from leaking if they have become a little loose? Or would I be loosing compression before I had coolant leaking? Again I assume it is coolant. Not sure how oil would be getting there, but.....:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

A compression check would be a quick and easy verification, but I don't believe your head is the source of the leak. Likely you have a break in the seal from the coolant hose coming from the radiator or from the water pump/timing cover gasket.

Try removing the radiator hose and cleaning off the surfaces. These regularly accumulate gunk and have a habit of loosening anyway. Also try to look closely at the seal between the pump and the timing cover. Both are pretty easy and inexpensive fixes.

A compression check would be a quick and easy verification, but I don't believe your head is the source of the leak. Likely you have a break in the seal from the coolant hose coming from the radiator or from the water pump/timing cover gasket.

Try removing the radiator hose and cleaning off the surfaces. These regularly accumulate gunk and have a habit of loosening anyway. Also try to look closely at the seal between the pump and the timing cover. Both are pretty easy and inexpensive fixes.

Yes, I plan to do a compression check soon. I don't believe it is from my water pump/timing cover because the wetness is only around the front of the head. The timing cover and waterpump are bone dry. And the location doesn't really allow it to come from the timing cover and get wet where it is.

But with that being said, I will look closer at the timing cover to see if I could have missing something. Thanks!

Upon looking at it more, I think it is oil leaking out of where it would drain back into the block from the heads......:shrug:

I pulled the valve cover and looked down the hole and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.