Tire problem?

BennytheJet

Dec 23, 2004
I've had my 2006 Mustang GT since Sept. of 2005. Recently, everytime I am going to turn and go a puddle of water, my car sways back and forth, or drfts out of alignment for a few seconds. It is a manual transmission so I first I figured it was my driving that was causing it by the unbalance of speed and clutch control and so forth, but this has occured at speeds of even 5mph. I'm also thinking it's my tires, I have 19,300 miles, but they don't look worn out. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Hydraplaning is when the tire skims across the surface of the water instead of slicing into it and clearing the water away through the sipes on the treads. If you've got over 19000 miles on the front tires, they must surely be worn. The deeper the tread, the more effective the tire wiill be at pumping the water away. If there is little tread, the water has nowhere to go.

The stock tires may be a hard compound rubber too which will give you less traction. At 19000 miles, it sure sounds like it.

Here in the UK, the legal limit is 1.6mm of tread but most experts recommend 3mm minimum.

Alternatively, if it's the same corner all the time, it could be diesel spillage which is quite common.