Tires with decent tread life and with awesome performance?

Aftrbrnr

Whitey cashier gave me the wrong change at the sup
Founding Member
Feb 19, 2000
Canaduh
We all know the old adage about tires. Tires the grip to the road like a train on rails wear out faster then a pencil eraser. And unfortunately, tires that last long grip to the road as good as a frog does vertically to glass. What I'm looking for is a tire that will last over 9,000 miles and can still be pushed, and I mean by pushed to almost autocross-type perfomance. What are your recommendations for a Mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

Not trying to jack your thread at all, but what is a good 60' time with street tires? My car had gears, shifter, pullies, exhaust, and k&n last time I went to the track, and I got a best of 2.1 60'. Is that good? This was on Sumitomo's which were 245/50/16, 360 treadwear, and W speed rated. I thought 2.1 was decent, no?

Anyway, what kind of power are you making aftrbrnr? The more power you have, the stickier you are going to need it to have traction. I would definitely look into the nittos. From what I have heard about them, they grip good, last pretty long, and arent bad to drive in the rain.

Chris

Tires with softer rubber compound stick better but wear fast, and a harder rubber compound last longer but don't stay planted very well.

Remember the Goodyear Infinitreads, they were gauranteed to last the life of the car, and they could, I've seen them with over 100K on them but you could spin tires all through first and into second gear with both front wheels with a Ford Festiva, I've scene that too. It was like driving in poring rain all the time. They stopped making them because people cam back to Goodyear with a terrified angry look on thier face. My buddy ran BFG DR's last summer, well at least they lasted through June and a little into July, got 3500 miles on them, but he used them they way they were ment to be used. OMG did they stick!

I would say that the Nitto's seem to be a favorite. Many Toyo tire buyers just love them for stickyness and longevity. I have Firestone SZ50's on my rear and the stick and handle, and have lasted a while considering I got them with less than 4/32nds on them used.

kumho's suck for performance and nittos race tire is made for racing around corners not going straight... there 555 is a nice DR w/ decent tread life... there are diff stages of the 555.... regular.. drag (555 R) and there road race tire (555 RII) ... id deffinately say go w/ the 555 R's... mickey thompson came out w/ a pretty wicked DR but im not sure about the ratings and im sure itll cost a pretty penny

5.0GT said:
Not trying to jack your thread at all, but what is a good 60' time with street tires? My car had gears, shifter, pullies, exhaust, and k&n last time I went to the track, and I got a best of 2.1 60'. Is that good? This was on Sumitomo's which were 245/50/16, 360 treadwear, and W speed rated. I thought 2.1 was decent, no?

Anyway, what kind of power are you making aftrbrnr? The more power you have, the stickier you are going to need it to have traction. I would definitely look into the nittos. From what I have heard about them, they grip good, last pretty long, and arent bad to drive in the rain.

Chris

I used to cut 1.85s on 225/60/16 goodyear street tires. They were aqautread or something like that. You just have to slip the clutch so you don't overpower the tires. Now I use Et streets at the track and BFG dragradials on the street.

Aftrbrnr said:
We all know the old adage about tires. Tires the grip to the road like a train on rails wear out faster then a pencil eraser. And unfortunately, tires that last long grip to the road as good as a frog does vertically to glass. What I'm looking for is a tire that will last over 9,000 miles and can still be pushed, and I mean by pushed to almost autocross-type perfomance. What are your recommendations for a Mustang?

BFG drags: Great traction at the track ( NMRA dragradial class runs in the 8s on them) They last 7000-8000 miles on average. They are tricky in wet weather.

Nitto 555R drags: Less traction than the BFGs at the strip. But they last longer and behave better in the wet. 10000+

MT et streets: Street legal slick. Awsome at the track. Bad in wet weather.

MT drag radial: Not released yet. They are said to rival BFG drags for traction and have better tread life.

Nitto 555 RII: Road race tire. Perform little better at the track than street tires but are not for drag racing. Good wet weather.

If you are going to be road racing then it obvious the Nitto 555 II are your tire. But they are really for all out racing.

Eagle F1s , BFG g-force TA, Michelin Pilots are all great tires that have good traction for a daily driver. Would provide decent hook at the track and behave well in the wet.

WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO?

5.0GT said:

Chris

A guy on here that goes by jethro cut a 1.82 60' on street tires. I think they were mastercraft.

I have Bf Goodrich Radial T/A's and they hook awesome and keep my 86gt planted when hammering through the s-curves. I love them, they tread life on them is also really really good. Just my 2 cents

mike keirstead said:
Trying to have your cake and eat it too are ya???? HEHHEHHE joking.

The nitto drags last 10000+.
The bfg drags are 7000-8000.
Eagle F1s and BFg TA have good traction

least with the newer compounds the tires are getting to stick to the ground better AND lasting long also

thank god for tech

also guys why does almost everyone here mention drag radials for this guy?

his post said something about auto-x type performance
that means NO DRAG RADIALS

the sidewall on them while it might work for auto-x is a lot softer then a road race/auto-x style tire which could lead to less traction even though the tire itself is fairly sticky

also what about the BFG g-force KD tires? not KDW but KD
head a big stink about them a little bit ago but almost nobody brings them up anymore

why not?

I have about 15k on Nitto 555R's and they still have some life left. I have went auto-x'ing once and road racing once. Trust me, the tires are not going to be the soft point in your setup, it's gonna be your suspension if it's stock. The tires held up surprisingly well in both events and also I have about 100+1/4 mile passes on them and many many burnouts. For the money they cant be beat.