tires

big c johnson

Aug 3, 2010

debating between nitto invos all the way around or nt555r in the rear and nt 555 up front any thoughts on this? right now im at 441rwhp and 418 ftlbs but bout to add 3-4 more pounds of boost soon its a 2010 with m90 and other goodies btw

• Sponsors (?)

How do you use the car? If it is your daily driver, get the Invo; if you are willing to sacrifice tire life for acceleration, then get the NT555R. There are better alternatives to both options, but let us know what you are trying to do and you can get some advice.

A lot of it depends on what your priorities are. If your goal is to have the tire last 40,000 miles, then I am not really all that familiar with what would work best. I autocross my car and want to get about 15,000 miles out of a set. Some autocross specific street tires that have a good reputation are the Hankook RS-3, Bridgestone RE-11, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Nitto NT-05. There are others, but those are a few that come to mind. If you want to get a little more life out of tire and drive in the rain much, people seem to be happy with the Continental ExtremeContact DW, the Hankook Ventus V-12 evo is also supposed to be good. If you want more grip than those tires offer, the Nitto NT-01 is a good entry level track tire, but don't expect more than 5-8k miles on the street. I had the Nitto Invo for my first set on my car, they were a decent street tire, they had low tire noise and we good in the rain, they lasted 20k miles, but the sidewalls were a little soft for autocross. I have the Dunlops now, I think I will be pushing it to get 15k miles on them. They handle better than the Invo but are noisier on the street, and I am not particularly sensitive to that. My next tire will probably be the Michelins.

My car will be seeing little to no track time, and sees very limited driving in the winter, my beater does most of that. So maybe the Invo....

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but have you heard much about Sumitomo HTR Z III? I'm debating between them, the Hankooks, Nittos, and Contis, either DW or DWS. I'd prefer a little more tread life, the DWS are rated highest there, but have a softer sidewall. The Hankooks and Nittos are lowest for tread life, so the Sumis almost seem about right being in the middle. I'm iffy if my beater will make it through this winter, and if the stang gets pressed in to service I'd rather have a little traction as well. I'll be running a staggered 18x9/18x10 setup if it matters.....