TKO install questions????????

Numbles

Dec 10, 2003
Chicago, IL
Whats up everyone. Im usually in the 94-95 section but I totaled my 95 about 4 months ago and just recently picked up a 93 lx. Im in the middle of swapping my tko600 into the 93 but I know there are going to be a few snags.

1) Can anyone explain how to modify the crossmember. The 95gt's just need you to turn them around, is it the same for fox's. Anyone have a picture of how they modified theirs.

2) I needed a driveshaft spacer for my old car but I heard the trans was designed for fox cars. Can I just get an aluminum ds from frpp with the 31 spline slip yoke and will the length work. I think its 45.5".

3) I have a poly mount for the trans. Do I need to get ajustable control arms to get the pinion angle straight again or will it be fine.

These are just a few questions I have off the top of my head. I did a search and these were the only ones I was still unsure on.

Thanks
Dan.

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the TK-600 is like the TKO of old... Needing a 26 spline clutch disc, and a 31 spline yoke for the driveshaft. The crossmember needs to be modified... All I did was file the mounting holes for the trans mount farther BACK, towards the rear... Takes about 3/4 of an inch filing for each hole. The driveshaft will work fine, just need a 31 spline yoke. Other then that.. it fits fine... Also needs the special bellhousing, but I'm sure you knew that. :nice:

The cross member needs to be moved back. This can be done by grinding the welds on the stock one or picking up a motorsport cross-member which comes without any welds. You will just have to put some tack welds on once you get the trans bolted in. A drive shaft spacer is not needed on the foxes. Your trans mount is fine. I used an energy suspension mount. Furthermore, I used an FMS aluminum driveshaft with a 31 spline yoke and the length is perfect. Only other thing I can think to tell you is to pick-up the correct gear drive and bellhousing/scattershield for your application. If you run a scattershield then pick up a pro-motion extended clutch fork. Good luck.

Numbles said:
For the crossmember I read in another thread that you have to cut the welds and move the crossmember forward. And you say back. Is it dependent on the car or was that person wrong.

Yes.. You can also do it that way, but then you will have to have it rewelded. I'm talking about the slots on the crossmember where the trans mount bolts to the crossmember. You can grind those slots longer... that will give you the clearance you need without having to cut the welds and then have it rewelded.

Nick

why the 600 and not the 500

Brads Coupe said:
I recently purchased a TKO-600 as well. These are things that I was told that I had to replace.

Driveshaft
Bellhousing
Clutch
and Yolk

Good Luck with your swap.
why did you end up going with the 600 and not the 500 ?