To Dyno, Or Not To Dyno...

DFG 5OH

Aug 28, 2004
Louisville, KY
Well I'm sure some of you remember what happened the last time I tried to dyno, my car wasn't running right, and I blew out a tire at 150mph...
View attachment 499860

Anyways, I've got another oppertunity now that my car is running right, to re-dyno, at the same place $35 for 3 pulls with wideband. I've got 4 16" waffle wheels on my car, with 4 215/55/16 Toyo Proxes 800 tires. I know they arent Z rated, so should I dyno again, or wait till I get new tires? I'm just really nervous from last time, and this time I dont have the money to get new tires...The Toyo tires are nearly new...

What should I do?

• Sponsors (?)

Buy one new tire for the 99+ wheels, and run again with those. FWIW, i was crazy enough once to bury the speedometer in my old Fox (140 speedo), on only H rated tires. You'd be substantially safer doing it while stationary, on a dyno. I say go for it, you gotta put those old numbers behind you :nice:

What was the condition of your tires when you had that blow out? Also, did you have any clearance issues (using wheel spacers or otherwise)?

It seems like that should be a pretty rare thing, but I don't really know. You also could ask the dyno guys how often they have blowouts, and mention your concern. Seems like they should have a pretty good handle on the issue.

GRGT1994 said:
What was the condition of your tires when you had that blow out? Also, did you have any clearance issues (using wheel spacers or otherwise)?

It seems like that should be a pretty rare thing, but I don't really know. You also could ask the dyno guys how often they have blowouts, and mention your concern. Seems like they should have a pretty good handle on the issue.

My thoughts as well :nice:

This is the first and only time I've seen the dyno tire blow out thing.

I wanna see your pull......................GO FOR IT! :banana:

Grady

GRGT1994 said:

my tire were worn, but werent that bad, i had no spacers ect. The dyno guy said that has never happened...it was really weird.