To Kenne Bell Or Not To Kenne Bell?

Hey all I just wanted to get everyone's (Hopefully many KB owners can chime in) opinion before I make the 6,000 investment. Are all those who've went with the KB happy they did? I want the 9psi IC, goal of 400 rwHp. How does the stang feel after a HP increase like that. Any regrets, like not just buying an 03 cobra. I realy like my mustang, but I'm thinking I should just maybe wait until the 06 cobra....decisions...decisions.

• Sponsors (?)

Dan_Soprano said:
I've had both. KB'd GT and now KB'd Cobra. SO my answer is obvious..................KB or bust! :nice:

How did you your KB GT compare wtih your cobra? (before the cobra was kb'd that is)
I realy didn't like some of the body pieces on the 03up cobras, which is why I never traded in my gt, but the stock power and the engines capability of the cobra are awsome. I tossed in the cobras seats, Mach 1 hood and scoop, to make my GT stand out, it just needs more power. I 've now tossed around the notion of just waiting for the 06 cobra, but again, although not exactly sure what the body will finalize as, the 05 GT I think looks better...just love those fog lights. Awe F...k it, I'm just going to order the KB.

Dr. Black said:
Hey all I just wanted to get everyone's (Hopefully many KB owners can chime in) opinion before I make the 6,000 investment. Are all those who've went with the KB happy they did? I want the 9psi IC, goal of 400 rwHp. How does the stang feel after a HP increase like that. Any regrets, like not just buying an 03 cobra. I realy like my mustang, but I'm thinking I should just maybe wait until the 06 cobra....decisions...decisions.

Think about how much $ you have, what are you willing to spend and if anything else you're involved in would suffer because of the money layout.

Insurance rates on Cobra's are higher than GTs. Check with your current ins. co. for a price quote. It may cripple you. I'd imagine that the GT with the KB blower up near 400hp would be pants crappin' fast.

mrvax said:
Think about how much $ you have, what are you willing to spend and if anything else you're involved in would suffer because of the money layout.

Insurance rates on Cobra's are higher than GTs. Check with your current ins. co. for a price quote. It may cripple you. I'd imagine that the GT with the KB blower up near 400hp would be pants crappin' fast.

:stupid:

I did the same thing. At first, the Cobra seemed to be a much better deal, but it turned out way more expensive than I thought. So I kept my GT and got a KB. I don't regret my decision. :spot:

Anyways if he has the $$$, I'd say go for the snake.

droptopponynj said:
problem with the 03/04 cobra is your gonna want to KB that too! So just get it over with now and order it.

But the 2V KB kit cannot be used on the 03 Cobra. So if you don't want to buy 2 supercharger kits, then you need to decide which car you want, and then buy the appropriate KB kit.

2 things, all the cobra guys are having to rebuild their engines, crappy pistons, and the same kb 2.2 supercharger at 20 lb's of boost will make 30 more rwhp on a 2v than on the 4v. I had a pullied 03 cobra(I know everyone is probably sick of hearing this), and it had a really bad valve tick that "SVT knew about but did not have a fix" so instead of rebuilding that motor I went with the GT, which brings up 2 more things- the high horsepower cobras are going to autos and live axles, so why pay extra for the cobra when you are going to replace or rebuild everything anyway, yes you start out with more but you are eventually going to upgrade evrything anyway ! I also see 03 - 04 cobras all the time where I live, but not many 470 rwhp gt's. My $.02

Toms_2003_Stang said:
02LaserRed2V

How do you like the KB with the 4R70W?? I noticed in your sig that you dont have any tranny mods, are you running the factory gear ratio??

I ran my KB 1.7 at 10lb's of boost with my stock auto tranny (only tranny cooler and chip adjustments) at the track it it was 100% better than driving a pullied o3 cobra and having to power shift (and bang the crap out of the drivetrain) My best time with the 03 cobra 471rwhp 12.1, after like 8 runs, first time out in the gt, 12.3 with 394 rwhp !

Get the KB, you won't regret it. You do become used to the power very quicky though. You will end up wanting to do the lower end and going to a 14lb pulley. Then heads, cams, LTs............

Also remember, you will need beef up the rear suspention to get the thing to hook up.

hognutz said:
Kenne bell now makes a kit for the mach 1 so i would ask them about the shaker issue.

maybe there is a braket they may you can modifiy or something.

Yeah I spoke with them and they're sending me the instructions for the mach 1 so I can see the bracket, they said they would send me one if it looked like it would work, they seem like realy nice people to deal with.

Toms_2003_Stang said:
02LaserRed2V

How do you like the KB with the 4R70W??

What can I say, it kicks ass. I went from a basically stock GT to a KB blown stang, so the hp jump is definitely there. My personal opinion - autos benefit more from positive displaced blowers than centris since they (auto tranny) don't have full control of their RPMS like the 5-speeds do. Autos also have longer gearing, so it would take longer to rev for boost on a centri than a 5-speed would.

I noticed in your sig that you dont have any tranny mods, are you running the factory gear ratio??

I'm currently using 4.10 gears. They're wicked fun on the streets but I understand they're less effective (with a KB) on the track. I'll likely swap them for 3.55 or 3.73s.

Dr. Black said:

Hey Mr. Black...! First of all I just wanted to say I just moved back to Colorado after 15 years living in Vegas. I miss it just a little bit... are you in Green Valley or older Henderson?

About the SC... I've been researching SCs cause I plan on buying me one for Christmas. I've heard that when Kenny Bell is good... it's good but when it's bad (and apparantly many have seen it bad) the support sucks. That's all "hear-say" but that's what a lot of my research has produced. A few of my friends have said, get a twin screw but not a KB. Now, if I could just retrieve my PMs at another site I would tell you the other suggestions but I pissed off a mod over there and right now I'm locked out of my account. :rlaugh: Hey....! It happens....! :D