to stroke or not to stroke

siege

Feb 23, 2003
Peoria, AZ
hey all, well I'm pretty sure my motor is in need of a rebuild (metal shavings in oil, can hear "scraping" from motor while driving), so I've gotta do somethin. I've always wanted a 331 so I figure now would be the time to do it. unfortunately, I'm flat broke so its not like I can do a big buildup or anything. still have stock heads, intake, fuel, etc and won't be able to upgrade them for a while - would it not be good to throw in the stroker kit with all the stock stuff? I know I won't get much of a power gain till I upgrade, but would it be bad at all? if its not advisable, I'm thinkin of goin with the DSS Pro Lite kit.

by the way, I was thinkin of somethin like this for the 331:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2451538833&category=33620

on another topic, any idea about how much I could expect to be charged to have this thing rebuilt? the block's already been bored and stuff a couple years ago, so I would assume it would just need to be cleaned up a bit. I don't have the space or equipment to pull the engine myself, so I know it would cost a lot, but what would the difference in labor be like if I pulled it myself? I'm sure I could get it done if it meant saving a LOT of money..

hope I'm not forgetting anything, thanks for the help guys.

• Sponsors (?)

If youre hearing metal scraping in the engine and getting metal shavings in youre oil, sounds like you need more than lite clean up. Also knowing that your block has already been bored out once, I'd be looking more into a short block. Also running the 331 with the stock heads would definately smother it, but I don't see it causing anything fatal to the engine.

SuperchargedB87 said:
If youre hearing metal scraping in the engine and getting metal shavings in youre oil, sounds like you need more than lite clean up. Also knowing that your block has already been bored out once, I'd be looking more into a short block. Also running the 331 with the stock heads would definately smother it, but I don't see it causing anything fatal to the engine.

I was originally wanting a shortblock, but for $2300 for CHP and $2500 for DSS (331's), that's gettin up there. of course I also don't know what using the kit and rebuilding would come out to.

ok looks like most affordable shortblock I've found is here http://www.speedomotive.com/302_to_331_long_rod_stroker_engi.htm for $1900.

I know, a shortblock would probably be the best idea and I could probably install it myself (or with a friend), but money is tight, so who knows.

I'm one of those people that replaces everything that could break before it does, at least if I'm investing in a new engine. Your old valvetrain parts might be good enought until you can replace them, but everything else that comes to mind is either not reusable or has to be machined before you can. Running a 331 with everything else stock wont hurt anything at all. You'll just have an engine with torque that comes on real early and power that stops by 4500rpm. It will be very streetable, but not real racey until you get good induction, kind of like a truck engine.

we have been strokin everything we can get our hands on since our childhood, so why stop now. lol :rlaugh: i'd go w/the shortblock, and all you'll need is the gaskets for the oil pan, intake, heads, and i think that's gonna do it, but have an emergency fund incase you run into a problem that's gonna cost some $. good luck

get yourself a 331 shortblock from keith craft and be done with it..if your heart is set on just geting a kit then look at adperformance.com, Brian is awsome..and if you dont see anything on the site that gets you off then email him some questions and tell him your situation and he will point you in the right direction...i beleave he also carrys blocks

DSS gives you a gasket kit and new oil pump with the shortblock, and I would think most other places will too. I would definately buy new head bolts and intake bolts though. Everything else should be alright to reuse. Just make sure to keep the rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters in the same order you took them out of the old engine.

siege said:
ok looks like most affordable shortblock I've found is here http://www.speedomotive.com/302_to_331_long_rod_stroker_engi.htm for $1900.

I know, a shortblock would probably be the best idea and I could probably install it myself (or with a friend), but money is tight, so who knows.
The money will get tighter as you find more and more things that need to be done/replaced. It doesn't seem like it at first, but in retrospect it's usually cheaper in the long run to just go with a short block than it is to rebuild what you have- especially when it's showing signs of significant problems as it is.
As for Speedomotive- those guys have been around for ever, and had already established themselves as the best of the best long before Keith Craft, D.S.S. or CHP were even in diapers. They may be the cheapest, but I'd bet my home on their quality.

stangbear427 said:
The money will get tighter as you find more and more things that need to be done/replaced. It doesn't seem like it at first, but in retrospect it's usually cheaper in the long run to just go with a short block than it is to rebuild what you have- especially when it's showing signs of significant problems as it is.
As for Speedomotive- those guys have been around for ever, and had already established themselves as the best of the best long before Keith Craft, D.S.S. or CHP were even in diapers. They may be the cheapest, but I'd bet my home on their quality.

Well you guys have convinced me I might as well go the shortblock route...could always sell whats left over from the old engine that's in good shape (with my luck, nothing). Lookin like I'll probably go with Speedomotive's shortblock and I'll probably get the flexplate and damper there too cause they'll balance it if I do. If I somehow get more money, I'd think about going DSS, but seeing as how I have -$300 right now, that probably won't happen...have to get another credit card ( :( ), and borrow money from my gf (double :(). at least I can probably have a friend help me pull the motor so I won't have any labor to pay...except maybe lunch and beer :)

thanks guys