too slow

hskrs10

Dec 21, 2004
Nebraska
I need some help, My friend has a 2000 GT and I have a 98GT. For some reason I cant understand why? When we run them I can get a jump on him then he ends up pulling on me, not alot but more then i would think.

MY mods,
2002GT engine swap
373 gears
diablo programmer
offroad x pipe, flowmasters
70mm throttle body
upper plenum
mac cai
short throw shifter

His Mods,
stock motor
373 gears
superchips programmer
offroad x pipe, flowmasters
70mm throttle body
k&n CAI

Any ideas? I'm tired of his mouth!

• Sponsors (?)

You have the same mods except for the shifter. The extra weight is hurting you probably just enough to give him the edge. The only other differences could be he has a better tune. Could also be because 99-2000 GTs have slightly different engines than 01-04s. They were the same spec wise, but the slight differences might make just enough difference. FYI, my 2000 was always a little faster than my friends PI GTs mod for mod, and I'm a big guy at 6'2" and around 240lbs.

I had the same problem well kinda of, I had my 00 gt against an 01 gt convertible, I had catback, xpipe intake tune, he had full exhaust, intake. I would kill him off the line but he would barely pull up top. I also had heavy cobra rims which I know made a difference.

30lbs won't make that much difference. Shift points would be my guess as to why he pulls on you. If your not shifting at the proper rpm you can lose some momentum and that could be enough for him to pull ahead. Like stated above, he may be making slightly more power than you due to the tunes you guys have.

+1 on a driver mod. A sn is a bit lighter than a new edge. The 98 also has a pretty good factory tune (even in npi form). My pi engine swapped gt out ran most full bolt on cars, but as stated above, some cars are just freaks and run good.