top speed of GT

• Sponsors (?)

I got mine to 'bout 141 when all I had done was the mufflers. Of course it took about 2 miles to get there with the stock 2.73's. That was at 3600' elev. too; with the blower and other mods, I've since buried it on several occasions

99-00 were offered with a 16 inch wheel as well as a 17 inch wheel...the 16's were limited to around 120mph...because the tires were H rated for 130mph...it was for safety...

When I had my 00 GT 4th gear topped out right around 125 at the rev limiter...I wonder why others are faster than that with the same gear ratio... :shrug: ...lol...

Top speed is around 150 with a good open road...

xsnyperx said:
damn bro... did you get :owned:? or did you just keep going?

nope-the trooper got owned. BTW-this was on a street in town, at night.-not a highway. Im coming around a gradual turn in the road-nothing spectacular-look down at the speedo-120, and climing. So im goin around this turn-got both hands on the wheel keepin focus because its gettin a little bumpy-when i notice an oncoming car. Then i notice the headlight/markerlight style and realize its a crown vic-within a second i pass by, and then realize it was black and white(locals were only white). He immediately hits brakes when i pass-but within a second of that happening, im coming up on my Apartments-so i slam the brakes-and skid completely across the road trying to make it in-but i wasnt stopping fast enough, so i let off the brakes about 20 feet from the curb/trees. So i drop gears and start gaggin the livin **** out of the car-and make it to the intersection right past my apts, and hang a left. Once i made that turn I realize the road im on is really dark-no streetlights. so i cut the lights-and haul ***, watching the mirror the whole time-sure enough he blows straight through the intersection. I make it to the next intersection and go all the way through town-to out of city limits, go to a friends house-wake him up, and make him follow me to my parents house-just right outside of city limits, drop off my car, and make him take me to my apartment(where my other transportation-my 95gt was waiting) end of story. I had no front plate-and the trooper never got close enough to me to even turn his lights on. I told that story to another cop(from a different local town) at my gym, and his response was "you did the right thing-i would have ran too!" LOL!

You guys have BALLS. Where do you do this speed? I'd be scared as hell of getting pulled over. If you get pulled over at that speed, goodbye car, goodbye license, hello jail. I'd love to take my car to the limit but I'm scared!

okay here is some tech. with stock gears and tire size (245/45r17) top speed in 4th gear would be 143@6100(I belive that is rev limiter). no can it pull farther than that in 5th? I don't know I don't care would take weeks to get there.

now if you raised you limiter to 6500 you would get 152. the only thing you can even argue here is the 5th gear element. Iknow the car will pull to redline in 4th. in fifth there is no way.

I know that my car stock did not have the road maners or brakes for 140+ that is for sure.

billyfe390 said:
Some v6 cars and some GT's with 16 inch wheels were speed limited but those that had 17inch wheels are not SPEED LIMITED. You will maybe reach 140-145 but that is about it in your stock stang.
Yeah, that's why my 99 is limited to ~120. Had ghetto 16" but they're good for snow tires :)

It's fine though, I dislike going above 100 anyways. Why do you guys want to go so fast?!?!?