trak-lok rebuild

lmpbzkt492

Apr 13, 2003
I am goin to be puttin 3.73 gears in my car within the next few weeks and just had a quick question. I want to rebuild my trak-lok while i am in there. I have someone who is goin to help me that has done a few gears installs before but has never rebuilt a trak-lok. my question is how hard is it to rebuild it? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

not bad at all, remove s spring, remove spider gears, remove side gears which hold cluth pack in place. soak new clutches in friction modifier(as ford tells me to do at work), reinstall, the hardest part really is sometimes just getting the s spring back in thats it. but theres a tirck to it. go for it you wont have a prob. good luck with the gear install and youll be leaving 2 long stetches once again

Myke86GT said:
Also a cheap upgrade is add the F-150 spring, cost about $10 at the dealer.....Use two hose clamps to install it, because theycan be a burger to get in.

whats the part number if you know or what year f150 because im doing the same thing very soon

Myke86GT said:
Also a cheap upgrade is add the F-150 spring, cost about $10 at the dealer.....Use two hose clamps to install it, because theycan be a burger to get in.

I always hold the s-spring in place with my channel locks in my left hand and nail it a hard shot with the 3 lb mini sledge in my right hand. Usually pops right in on about the 2nd or 3rd try. The F-150 spring is definately alot beefier.