Tranny Rebuild Help -

Scott Amann

Nov 5, 2006
Picked up 67 last night. Had C4 Transmission rebuilt with shift kit and new torque converter - kept stock. Attached to Stock rebuild of 289. Stock rebuild is 8 months old.

During test drive at the tranny shop, in low gear when I hit the accelerator hard I get a chirp/metal on metal sound. Discussed with tranny rebuilder and was told that the starter was hitting the flywheel because it was an aftermarket starter and didnt fit right. Said that he had tried to work on it a little bit to get it to fit better but it was as good as it was going to get. Told me to go back to the stock starter.

Heres the problem - I have been driving this car with this starter in place for over 8 months - NEVER got the sound before. I have the original starter in a box and I am going to compare the two sided by side. If they match, I am going to take pictures and take it back to him for further discussion.

I need more info on this - what could he have done to change the spacing on the flywheel to the starter? Wrong size torque converter? I am not a tranny expert - hence why I dropped it off for rebuild - any info offered to me needs to be basic.

Thanks in advance!!!!

• Sponsors (?)