TRANNY SWAP!!!

Mac-man

Nov 7, 2003
south texas
i have a 96 5 spd gt and my friend has a 98 auto gt....my question is what all is involved in swapping the trannies from one car to another. we are planning on doing it soon..and would like any help you guys could give us on what all would be involved.

• Sponsors (?)

There's a lot involved actually. I'm not speaking with personal experience, just I've read some threads on this before. You'll need either a new computer, tune, or chip to get your car to run with the auto tranny as it wasnt programmed to be run with one. Thats a definate. Theres also a lot of fuses involved and things of the such. This needs more views so thats part of the reason why I'm posting, to keep it to the top.

Sorry about that messed up the post. But go to that website pretty imformative about the swap. Gives a detailed instruction with pics and also an esitamted price for the whole swap. Copy paste everything except the URL part of it

will the harness up under the dash accomidate an auto or 5 spd the website posted above says that the connectors are just tucked away.. if this is true couldnt the computers themselves be swapped from car to car along with the wiriing harness that goes to the tranny??or would that not work. the article states that the connectors for both manual or auto are up underneath the dash and just need to be attatch with the proper sensors?

Im doing this with my old 5.0 in a couple of months. Youll need the new tranny of course, a bell housing, a fly wheel, clutch, new pedal assembly, clutch quad, clutch cable, shifter, and a chip or reflash I would assume. Ill know more once I get my estimate in. Man thats going to hurt lol.