Trans Info

Hey guys, i have a 4 cyl. 85 notch and i was hoping yall could give me some info on the 4spd thats in the car. i have used the search but i just cant find what i want to know. Can yall tell me its strengths, weaknesses, etc.. if it can bolt up to a 302 or if its even worth any trouble? thanks a lot guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I forget what it's called, maybe RAD-4? It's a German built 4-speed with reverse at the top left correct? I think nylon rope is stronger. I don't recommend putting a 4-cyl T-5 behind a V8, much less this tranny. I'm running one in my 78 Mustang II w/ 2.3 Turbo until I get around to putting my T-5 back together, I keep waiting for it to break every time I drive it.

If it's only temporary, like in my case, and you drive it very easy it should be okay. You'll need an oversized pilot shaft bearing since the 4 cyl input shaft is smaller than the 5.0L. It basically bolts up like a T-5, if you have the right input shaft you can even use the same clutch and pressure plate (like I'm doing). When I get my T-5 back together all I have to do is remove the tranny from the bell housing and put in the T-5, quick and easy swap, assuming you have the right splines on the input shaft.