Trans/Motor Questions Got $2000 To Spend...

Adam95GT

Aug 14, 2006
Burlington, NJ
Well guys sorry i havent been around in awhile... ive been broke and trying to stay away because i know id find something to spend money on if i was on the fourms lol.... Well i just found out ill be getting a $3900 refund check from my college:jaw: which is awesome... so i wanna drop like $1000-$2000 in to my car.... my 3rd gear has been grinding when i go hard on it and when its cold... so i figured a new trans would be nice... and while i was at it y not a gt40p motor :) my motor is still running fine but now has 211k on it... doesent loose any oil or anything... but i figured if im gonna put money in to the car i might as well get a new motor... now my question is will the trans' from the 96-98 fit on our 5.0??? will the t45 cobra trans fit ect... i figure ill get both the motor and trans and learn to swap it over spring break... that gives me 15 days to mess up lol but yea... i def want a new trans... i should probally switch over to synthetic ATF that might help with the cold weather.... but other then that the car is still running strong... I figure $400ish on a slightly used tranny and about $600 on the gt40p motor... and about $150-$200 on a decent cam....then with what i have left over maybe get a zex kit and run like a 50-100 shot.... how does that sound???? ALso what cam works nicely with the gt40p motor...????

thanks,
Adam

• Sponsors (?)

T45 no fit the 5.0L. Only 4.6L for the T45 because the bellhousings are different.

Go to astroperformance.com and get a rebuild kit for the T5 and have at it.

Or, you could upgrade your T5 with a Gforce gearset. You will still need the rebuild kit.

my setup:

2001 explorer gt40p engine w/ 70k miles = 700
tremec 3550 tranny w/ clutch, bellhousing, tri-ax = 650

total = 1350

it can be found, you just gotta look around and have the money when you find it.

best find is a t5 out of like a 88 turbo coupe thunderbird you can get them for like 300-400 bucks a couple years ago dont know current prices im sure they are higher and also the searching in the junk yards and what not to find them.

but my opinion on the motor is why fix whats not broke with good care these motors go strong and i see no reason to throw your money away...its not burning or leaking oil and i dont see any poweradders so i would say keep what you have and worry about it later

best find is a t5 out of like a 88 turbo coupe thunderbird you can get them for like 300-400 bucks a couple years ago dont know current prices im sure they are higher and also the searching in the junk yards and what not to find them.

but my opinion on the motor is why fix whats not broke with good care these motors go strong and i see no reason to throw your money away...its not burning or leaking oil and i dont see any poweradders so i would say keep what you have and worry about it later

thats the problem i want to put a set of heads and a cam in my engine but i dont know how long it would last.... 211k is alot of miles....

i can't really tell you... it was in a 95 when i got it, so it already had teh bellhousing and clutch fork.

don't think i'm using a d/s spacer--looks to be a plain ol' aluminum ds.

i also used the stock mount (fixing to put a spacer on there in the next couple days) and stock crossmember.

definitely check out the classifieds here and over at the corral for deals. When my tranny blew I found one over on the corral. I got a t5z, bellhousing, clutch fork, centerforce clutch, tri-ax shifter for like $550 shipped.

A 351w would prolly be BETTER on gas because you wouldn't have to use as much throttle because of the mountain of torque available below 2000rpm that the 302 just doesn't have. You need that torque for your heavy ole 'vert. ;)

i dont think i would go 347 on a dd either 331 or a 351... would probally be the only decent streetable set up... but im still searching for a cheap gt40p motor.... i keep finding early 97 explorer 5.0's.... with iron gt40 heads... i wonder how they compair with the gt40p heads...

i dont think i would go 347 on a dd either 331 or a 351... would probally be the only decent streetable set up... but im still searching for a cheap gt40p motor.... i keep finding early 97 explorer 5.0's.... with iron gt40 heads... i wonder how they compair with the gt40p heads...

IMHO ...The difference between those heads is less than
what some might think :D

As for the motor concerns :)

If you got good squeeze in the holes ..............
then
I'd do two things .............

1) Put that motor money in the bank

2) Do the research to decide what flavor of short block you wanna
order from somebody like CHP, local builder, etc.

Whats That You Say :shrug:

Ya Wanna Know My Favorite Flavor ;)

Mmmmmmm :banana: 3 4 7 :banana:

Grady