Trans/Motor Questions Got $2000 To Spend...

• Sponsors (?)

347's will work perfectly well as a DD. There is no reason why those enginewould not be totally reliable.

I agree as far as the reliability of the motor goes :nice:

however

As we have talked about before .........
If your goal is at least 1rwhp per cube ..........

While it is possible to obtain fairly close to stock drivability :nice:

Those big injectors are gonna be thirsty :rlaugh:
when tooling around town :eek:
and
You will draw attention (cops) at stop lights :eek:

To my way of thinking :D
When you've gone that far :cool:

You've already crossed the point where ... you need a beater ;)

Grady

ug.. looked around this weekend... i did find a decent gt40p out of a 99 mountineer that was hit on the front fender.... 74k miles... $600 is what the GY was asking... doesent seem like a bad deal... but if i keep looking i think i can find better... right now i think its to early for me to go stroker.... im in college and really dont want to buy a beater....i was looking at an 89 probe 2.2l turbo however for $600.... i dont really know what to do... i think decent power can come out of a GT40P motor.... from what ive been reading...260-300 at the wheels.... with a decent cam and intake.... if i throw a 50-100 shot on it that seems like fun....

ug.. looked around this weekend... i did find a decent gt40p out of a 99 mountineer that was hit on the front fender.... 74k miles... $600 is what the GY was asking... doesent seem like a bad deal... but if i keep looking i think i can find better... right now i think its to early for me to go stroker.... im in college and really dont want to buy a beater....i was looking at an 89 probe 2.2l turbo however for $600.... i dont really know what to do... i think decent power can come out of a GT40P motor.... from what ive been reading...260-300 at the wheels.... with a decent cam and intake.... if i throw a 50-100 shot on it that seems like fun....

You Bet :nice:

An combo built with oem stuff would not set you back all that much.

Since you are talking about juice to get you to and beyond the 300
level ... you could go fairly mild on the cam and might negate the
need for a tune.

Grady

I'd buy that one for $600. It's NOT a bad deal at all. Can you hear it run? Don't you already have an Explorer intake? You can sell that to offset the cost, if you buy the whole motor. Don't even take it apart. Drop it in and go. (Unless you want to do a cam swap, while it's on the floor.)

That'd leave you with an awful lot of money to take care of that tranny. ;)

Of course, like Grady said--If the one that's in the car now is in good shape, (compression, leakdown, etc) don't fix what aint broken. Put that money into some good heads/cam.

my 02 cents are with adam. I would be worried that the block will go pretty soon. Especially now since you mentioned juice. But thats just me. I also prefer to wait more time and get aluminum heads, but thats just me

You Bet :nice:

An combo built with oem stuff would not set you back all that much.

Since you are talking about juice to get you to and beyond the 300
level ... you could go fairly mild on the cam and might negate the
need for a tune.

Grady

i really cant lie... the motor in the car now runs great... i cant belive that it has 212k on it now... and it looses maybe a 1/2 a quart at most an oil change if i beat on it... but for some reason i cant trust something with 212k on it... if i could id say screw it and throw on an S trim...

LOL... true... im thinking a TFS stage 2 cam... but also alumnium heads would be a good option... to buy a low milage stang motor... so i still have the forged ho pistons... and slap a decent set of heads on it... but right now im just looking at cost... its my all year round car... its already a bitch in the snow... i think my plan will be as follows... buy a gt40p... i want one for about $500 however... and under 70k... ill sell my explorer manifold for about $150... because its really clean... get the new motor and clean it up and find a decent used cam... ive tracked down a 95 t5 with 40k miles for $500 obo... im gonna see if he will do 450 shipped... then i have my motor and trans for under a grand... ill clean up the motor and trans really nice... i think my FRPP clutch will work for this set up... so ill keep that.. it has about 4k on it... also im thinking about selling the explorer manifold on the motor i get for $100.... so with the combined money from the manifolds i might be able to get a trick flow street mani.... then ill wait till weather gets good... i might pay a local shop to do the swap... i think im ready for it.... but not sure if i can do it with all hand tools... but the mechanic is a friend of mine and he said $500-600 for the swap and to change the cam... which is a decent deal... once out ill sell my trans for someone to rebuild for like $75 and the bellhousing seperatly... and then i might be able to get some cash together for a small shot of N2O... but i havent decided on that.... anyone have any other ideas...??? :shrug: im really planning on this... just want the right deals... and the right weather to do it... what all hasa to be changed from the explorer 5.0??? i have the intake elbow sitting... im probally going to need P specific headers... but ive talked to someone that said they got away with mac shorties... so mine might work... also ive heard the oil pan and timing belt covers are different...

after this ordeal... i plan on getting my rear redone... 3.73's.... because when i drive and hit hard on the gas my car pulls hard left and the rear kicks out right... im assuming that my drivers side rear posi is on its last leg... im also thinking about a rear seat deleate and get another center consol to mold in to the fiberglass rear deleate... im thinking about attempting.... which will then be painted to match my car....

also when i have my motor out does anyone think that painting under the hood and inner area flat black to makt it look a little cleaner...???